• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch rattle

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I noticed a rattle coming from the clutch side of my Viper. I was a little concerned that the motor was rattling. I removed the clutch and started the enging, no noise.

The clutch rattles like and rattle snake, is that normal for the yamaha clutches?

Tar

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It is normal. I can't tell you how many clutches I have taken apart to inspect and found everything just fine and they still rattle.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
The culprit is the engines harmonic that add up with the free play that must exist in clutch and crank end, and has been like this since the 3-cyl arrived, was it 2004?
Put the rattling cluch on an Apex and there's no rattle.
The clutch must have a tiny bit of free play, put o-rings under the sliders and it gets a bit quiter.
The end of the crank have splines so the clutch is not solid mounted on crack, there's some that "glue" crank and end together, and obviously cluch gets quiter, less free play, doesn't hold forever, and might be not so healthy for the crank longterm.
Live with the rattle @ idle, and enjoy driving.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Thanks,
There is play in the bolts and the arms can move before engagement.
If you hold the clutch in yours hands and give it a good shake it makes alot of noise.

Tar

Premium Features