• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch engaging noise

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I think that’s belt noise. Check your belt deflection, it may be running a bit low in the secondary.
I’ve heard that when swapping a belt and the secondary hasn’t fully closed after removing the tool yet.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
belt to sheave clearance??
deflection?
broken primary spring?

i'm sure some of the experts will chime in

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Just changed primary spring. Changed to a gayes belt. Still same issue. Belt to sheave clearance was .025. sled runs awesome. Just loud engagement.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Something is funky with the secondary. Take a vid of the clutches engaging for a more accurate Snowest diagnostic session.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Gates take a bit to break in, my guess is that after a few miles the angles have met and now she is a bit loose...adjust a half turn out on the secondary!!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
99% sure the belt is slipping in the secondary. Does it do it after the belt and clutches warm up a bit? If there is moisture on the belt it will make that sound when it slips in the secondary also. Have you had the secondary clutch apart? Does it shift out correctly after you are moving?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I will check deflection. It has do e it since new. 250 miles now. Just put in TRS clutch kit and changed weights, springs, helix. Noise is the same every time. I checked primary belt to sheave clearance. I haven't checked deflection. I'll do that next.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I will check deflection. It has do e it since new. 250 miles now. Just put in TRS clutch kit and changed weights, springs, helix. Noise is the same every time. I checked primary belt to sheave clearance. I haven't checked deflection. I'll do that next.
You commented it has done it since new. If deflection is good, disassemble the secondary and check that the components are all there.
View attachment 339214

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I took secondary apart. Rollers look good. Spring and cup look good. Put in new spring. Still need to adjust deflection.
Getr done! This is something you should do before you go on your first ride, and every few rides after that. Takes 2 minutes.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I agree with what others have said, sounds like belt noise because of too much deflection. I actually had the same squawking going on yesterday, tightened my deflection to where it should be and the engagement noise went away.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Heck I keep an Allen wrench and end wrench in my handlebar bag and adjust deflection on the hill as needed just because I dont like giving up performance. It takes less time to adjust than stopping for a drink of water. Belt deflection is critical in having proper performing clutches. If it's to loose it's like starting off in high gear and affects performance all the way through the shift. It's also hard on belts having it to loose.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Heck I keep an Allen wrench and end wrench in my handlebar bag and adjust deflection on the hill as needed just because I dont like giving up performance. It takes less time to adjust than stopping for a drink of water. Belt deflection is critical in having proper performing clutches. If it's to loose it's like starting off in high gear and affects performance all the way through the shift. It's also hard on belts having it to loose.

Same.

1/8” tee handle allen
7/16” box end wrench.

Premium Features