• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Cover Strengthening?

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Grenaded a belt today and destroyed the guts of the clutch cover. Has anybody found a trick to keep this from happening? Other than not breaking a belt haha.

On another note, no belt temp warning before it blew. Any chance of warranty?

20230318_184055.jpg 20230318_184047.jpg 20230318_184033.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Can you describe the noise it made? In great detail

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Bwaaaaaacttttkkkchahchiukchinkkinkbaaaa
Had this happen too on the first belt I blew this year. Parts were backorder around new years and just got them Friday. I have worn out 2 belts since and haven’t had the same results. One of them I started to smell so I opened the door and found some chunks and the other I might have replaced a bit prematurely but it was starting to look like it had been toasted.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Doo is really stepping up their game. Why only ding you $300 for a belt when you can add on a couple hundred more in parts.
Coming next year: the single use oil cap!
I’d much rather have the inside off my panel blown up than belt chunks come through the panel an connect with my leg. If you don’t like have those parts blown up then chain your belt sooner, but that might cost you some money by not squeezing the extra 50-100 miles out of it. $150 in parts is what it cost me, but I also bought a $22000 180hp 2stroke it’s not a cheap sport.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Can you describe the noise it made? In great detail
Turbo Thompson described perfectly!

Which belt are you running?

I’d much rather have the inside off my panel blown up than belt chunks come through the panel an connect with my leg. If you don’t like have those parts blown up then chain your belt sooner, but that might cost you some money by not squeezing the extra 50-100 miles out of it. $150 in parts is what it cost me, but I also bought a $22000 180hp 2stroke it’s not a cheap sport.
Belt had less than 200 miles on it. Pulling perfect rpm and no belt temp alarm. Not sure what else I could have done. Belt had just had a break and then 5 mins of running and boom.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Belt had less than 200 miles on it. Pulling perfect rpm and no belt temp alarm. Not sure what else I could have done. Belt had just had a break and then 5 mins of running and boom.
Less than 200? That’s bad I’ve been getting 300-500 miles and not been happy. You might want to check your clutches and the area around your clutches to make sure nothing snagged that belt, it shouldn’t have blown that quick.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
If having issues try ordering 574 belt, should be stronger than 571

M
Jan 26, 2013
Nearly every post concerning belt life after failure, glosses over the fact, it could be a belt issue. Like politicians, brand loyalists never miss an opportunity to slander a sled manufacturer. I would venture to say the extent of damage as the result of belt failure depends largely in what way the belt failed. By that I mean, did it break cleanly and fall harmlessly into the pan. Did it slowly delaminate whipping wildly under load while operator continued applying throttle. Or, yes perhaps the design of the cover doesn't have enough clearance to allow the belt fragments to escape rotating mechanism, and thus creates a destination f**ked scenario. Signed ramblings of a fool

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Belt
You don't say! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't realize clutch covers are considered a sacrificial part now that needs replacing when you blow a belt.
I have blown many (lots) belts and some have had no extra damage, some have caused cranks to go out of phase, others have mangled clutch covers and blown out belly pans. This has been on all makes over my many years of riding. Clutch covers being sacrificial are better than having chunks tear flesh. Especially on a sled where the secondary clutch is only about 4 inches from your knee at times.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
With 180 hp and 8000 rpm there’s going to be carnage to belt cover , a few years ago I was clutching a 2008 renegade with bmp 880 with 60 shot of noss I had it on the juice for 1/2 mile and the belt blew it put the cover 100 feet in the air and completely exploded the side cover and belly pan that was a scary moment.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Please explain how the cover being destroyed in the process protects the rider better than if it remains intact and reusable, because I'm clearly missing something here.
Sure you can make a cover that may be re-useable (bulletproof?) but you will sacrifice something else like weight and which is what all of us snowmobilers seem to cry about most. Also the cover absorbing the blast still did its job by preventing damage to other components. Belt explosions that destroy the covers only do so in a small majority of belt failures but now that factory sleds come with as much power as mod sleds did 20 yrs ago there are bound to be more issues.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had to do some creekside reshaping of my belt guard when my belt decided it was time to check out. But not as bad as the OP's pic. I was able to get it resolved with a leatherman, but it wouldn't reinstall in the sled without some work.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Please explain how the cover being destroyed in the process protects the rider better than if it remains intact and reusable, because I'm clearly missing something here.

belts fail no getting around it, sometimes they go gently and sometimes catastrophically luck of the draw really. You can replace broken parts or try to build something stronger.

If you go stronger I highly suggest a 1960 Harley Davidson Shovelhead hinged rear fender for all your catastrophic belt failures…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features