• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch belt questions

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam a new to snowmobiles so this may be a dumb question. So if your belt has stretched, do you still adjust the secondary clutch for correct deflection? Or do you need to replace? Reason I ask is I bought a used 2016 m6000 and the belt needs tightening but I dont know how much age the belt has? Thanks

• 2 Stars
Reactions: Mike from langley
R
Your drive belt will always stretch, it has too. However, when you install a new belt, that is why you have to break it in, 100+ miles, depending on sled and belt.
if you do not, there is a high chance that it will break, you wont get the right RPMs and speed. that you are looking for.
When you replace a belt, it is usually due to high wear, cracking, splitting, threads showing or severely burnt on the slides. Check and add or take away belt deflection depending on how tight the belt is. Most sleds have a spec., some guys says until it doesn't squeal. Check your manual if you have one or check with a dealer.
If the belt is too tight, you wont get any top end, but will be snappy on acceleration only for so long. If too loose, the belt might sink into the secondary, no acceleration or little and more top end, belt might twist or break.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The belts don't stretch much at all, its the width that changes. Once they wear down and become too thin to get proper deflection, replace.

Deflection only affects engagement, absolutely no effect on any other aspect of the clutches. You want the belt to be as tight as allowed so that the engagement is smooth and sled starts out in the lowest effective gear ratio.

Sent it

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Iam a new to snowmobiles so this may be a dumb question. So if your belt has stretched, do you still adjust the secondary clutch for correct deflection? Or do you need to replace? Reason I ask is I bought a used 2016 m6000 and the belt needs tightening but I dont know how much age the belt has? Thanks
There is a spec for belt width and length, it should be in your owners manual , or go to country cats website home page at the bottom technical info. There is also service manuals that have all the info for adjusting.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Quick follow up. Yesterday I had to move the snowmobile and really first time I've ridden it. I know jack shi@ about snowmobiles but...I had to really rev up the engine to make it move and when it did move it seemed more like a drag race "launch" than a simple engagement and forward motion. Now my questions include...this was on dirt and grass. And belt deflection and or stock spring on primary at 1400 miles. Only reason I say that is I saw on you tube guy says new spring ever 800 miles. That could be a hardcore thing to though. Now I'd like to understand my snowmobiles clutch engagement and gearing. What it likes. What I want and the compromise. Fyi I'd like a fairly gentle take off even at the expense of top end power at least while I learn. Thanks

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There is a lot of friction on the skis when not in snow, the sled has to overcome that so u will have a hard launch.

I assume the clutch engagement is ~4k?

If u rev it to 5-6k it will launch hard. Try to feather the throttle at engagement, that will help.

Sent it

Premium Features