• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Balancing Question

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have had several clutches balanced, Great service from perks however one question which bothers me,They take a tad bit of weight off the inner and a ton off the outer half.They spin these at a slow speed long before the engagement RPM. At engagement the clutch closes moving the weight inward considerably. I would think it would be better balanced at higher RPM after the movement occurs or removing the spring to allow clutch to close for the balance?Perks can you respond. Thanks....Not to piss anyone off but I rode yesterday here in Cali..

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Good question.
Another thought....most mountain sleds average about 20mph...so they spend the majority of time running at lower shift ratios and perhaps just a little over mid-shift when climbing. Less time at higher shift ratios. So is it best to balance for those lower ratios or for higher shift ratio?? Is there any significant difference in balancing at different shift ratios??
I will go with whatever perks has to say, I'm sure he's put a lot more thought into this than anyone else.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's a petty god question. I would like to see their thoughts about clutch balance at various speeds.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Good question.
Another thought....most mountain sleds average about 20mph...so they spend the majority of time running at lower shift ratios and perhaps just a little over mid-shift when climbing. Less time at higher shift ratios. So is it best to balance for those lower ratios or for higher shift ratio?? Is there any significant difference in balancing at different shift ratios??
I will go with whatever perks has to say, I'm sure he's put a lot more thought into this than anyone else.

What I was actually going to suggest to Perks is I have a bushing longer than the stock limiter bushing[PVC coupling} to install for the balance.I sets the shift at about 5/8 shift and remove the spring.And start with a new spring cup.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
What I was actually going to suggest to Perks is I have a bushing longer than the stock limiter bushing[PVC coupling} to install for the balance.I sets the shift at about 5/8 shift and remove the spring.And start with a new spring cup.

Just had a conversation with Perks and I,m going to send him my cases with pistons /cylinder/primary ,no head, Everything that spins and he will balance it to the 880 top end as a complete unit . He claims the motor will not have any shaking,And will gain HP and long life.Still thinking about removing primary spring for the balance.He indicated that even with a balanced clutch the crank balance is so far out it will cause issues.... and when all is corrected it will scream.The primary will be indexed to the PTO piston TDC.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Just had a conversation with Perks and I,m going to send him my cases with pistons /cylinder/primary ,no head, Everything that spins and he will balance it to the 880 top end as a complete unit . He claims the motor will not have any shaking,And will gain HP and long life.Still thinking about removing primary spring for the balance.He indicated that even with a balanced clutch the crank balance is so far out it will cause issues.... and when all is corrected it will scream.The primary will be indexed to the PTO piston TDC.

Hmmmm......very interesting.

M
Jun 3, 2010
balance

I talked to him also. He told me the exact same. My 07 800HO PTEK shakes so bad the body panel plastic is worn away and latching the engine panels is useless because the plastic hole is worn through.

The cranks on many of these machines didn't even come close to Doo specs when new. I need a crank because I lost all the Isoflex on the MAG side.

The clutches aren't much better. That will go to the Doodoctor.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
As Perks explained to me....the balance does not change with RPM. If all the internal components (ramps, arms, etc...) are previously balanced the location (clutch shift out) of the sliding half will not matter as the internal parts so close to crank centerline. I will be sending my clutch to him, may even take the whole sled this fall, we'll see.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa

Did you get this done & if so, what's your opinion?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Did you get this done & if so, what's your opinion?

New 880 is on the bench, Will be shipped shortly.Something i noticed is when the spring cup is placed on inner shaft at the idle position there is a bit of looseness/wobble and when pushed down to 1/2 shift its much tighter.this is with new cup/bushing. I dont want the motor balanced to the wobble and would rather be spot on at higher engine speeds.The reason for allowing 1/2 shift for the full balance.

J

jrt6457

Nov 28, 2007
wa
Be careful using perks to balance your primary, my sliding sheave came back looking like a piece of swiss cheese. The structural integrity was severely compromised in my opinion, didn't want a 8000 rpm grenade to take my foot off, so i ended up replacing the outer sheave. Very costly balance job.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Be careful using perks to balance your primary, my sliding sheave came back looking like a piece of swiss cheese. The structural integrity was severely compromised in my opinion, didn't want a 8000 rpm grenade to take my foot off, so i ended up replacing the outer sheave. Very costly balance job.

My Primary was balanced by perks two seasons ago with no problems, The reason it looks like swiss cheese was to correct the gross im-balance. just shows how far out it was

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
My Primary was balanced by perks two seasons ago with no problems, The reason it looks like swiss cheese was to correct the gross im-balance. just shows how far out it was

2 seasons on that 880 spinning 8300 rpm all day in the mountains would definately test the durability of that clutch!

Premium Features