• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chop the A-Arms?

DenverR1

Premium Member
I'm buying an MXZ 4-stroke to turn into a summit. The a-arms on it are wider than the summit and I was wondering if it would be possible to just chop and weld the arms rather than buying all of them off of a summit. I don't know much about welding, think it would hold up ok?

yep

I would guess this would work just fine. Have a welding shop do it. I was going to do this on a set of rev arms. May have to do some stragic bending on the lower arms as if you cut them in a couple inches they taper in so you will have to figure out a way to lightly bend them out to be the right width. The best wat to take care of it all would be to have a summit to measure. Make sure that the arms do not have a different angle coming off the bulkhead. Also buy a metric tap for the radius rod. Cut the end of the radius rod down that has the standard rh threads. If you cut the other end down your gonna pay an arm and a leg for the left hand tap.

A-Arms

Could there be a stock XP set of arms that would bolt on?

sure

I am pretty sure that the stock xp summit arms will bolt up as well. They will be far more expensive then shortening the ones that come on it.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but while on the subject, is there anybody narrowing the summit a-arms narrower than stock? I hear the proto-type sleds were 1.5" narrower and were easier to pull up.

yes the summit a arms will bolt right on but the spindels are a little wider also and my a arms from my mxz xr sold on here right away people in the eastern us are hot for them

I donno guys, i think maybe your going the wrong direction... I rode the highmark addition XP 154, its wider than the MXZ, and it was the best handleing deep powder sled ive ever been on.... Wider really is better!!!

I would guess this would work just fine. Have a welding shop do it. I was going to do this on a set of rev arms. May have to do some stragic bending on the lower arms as if you cut them in a couple inches they taper in so you will have to figure out a way to lightly bend them out to be the right width. The best wat to take care of it all would be to have a summit to measure. Make sure that the arms do not have a different angle coming off the bulkhead. Also buy a metric tap for the radius rod. Cut the end of the radius rod down that has the standard rh threads. If you cut the other end down your gonna pay an arm and a leg for the left hand tap.

Good info here^^^ I would also suggest inserting a sleeve inside the arm if possible where it will be welded, this will give you more strength in the welding location and allow better welding penetration without the risk of burning through.

NSC

I'm buying an MXZ 4-stroke to turn into a summit. The a-arms on it are wider than the summit and I was wondering if it would be possible to just chop and weld the arms rather than buying all of them off of a summit. I don't know much about welding, think it would hold up ok?

Why don't you swap front ends with someone? Most guys will do it straight up.

some sleds do seem to ride better with a wider stance but imho the weight these sleds carry a little tippier doesnt hurt:eek:

every mod sled i have ever built has always been widend. if you cant carve you shouldnt ride

That was awesome team dirt! You're right, I'm done with snowmobiling because I wanted to shorten the stance! And the fact that I want to put a longer skid on it too just proves that I shouldn't ride! Thanks again bro, great response you bada$$!!!

That was awesome team dirt! You're right, I'm done with snowmobiling because I wanted to shorten the stance! And the fact that I want to put a longer skid on it too just proves that I shouldn't ride! Thanks again bro, great response you bada$$!!!

^^^^^^^ ROCK ON BIG SHOOTER!!!!! lol that is funny

just remove your sway bar. narrow a arms will need shorter shocks = too much money. you will need a harder spring with the sway bar removed though. you won't be disappointed.

this does not come with longer or shorter shocks just different valving and different springs mxz to summit i did this very thing last fall shock bodies are same lenght in and out but i put on fox floats if you are going to buy a sled and long track it and turbo it you are short on luck this is not for penny pinchers imho even with shorter a arms shocks worked fine throttle cable and brake line were long enough with a little routing with factory high rise block

Last edited:
this does not come with longer or shorter shocks just different valving and different springs mxz to summit i did this very thing last fall shock bodies are same lenght in and out but i put on fox floats if you are going to buy a sled and long track it and turbo it you are short on luck this is not for penny pinchers imho even with shorter a arms shocks worked fine throttle cable and brake line were long enough with a little routing with factory high rise block

I hear ya, but I'm still gonna have to try and pinch where I can! From what I've heard I'm going to have to lengthen the brake and throttle cables because I like a 10" riser. I'm 6-06 and need the height.

Did you put the summit shocks on or did you keep the mxz shocks on? I would think that the summit shocks would have a hard time supporting the weight of the 4-stroke engine.

actually used the yellow springs and 06 shock bodies for my 06 summit very happy with that shock i am 5'8" 250 lbs the mxz shocks and springs were very stiff but with narrow front end and no sway bar might be the ticket i went with tracks usa rail extensions and 154" and am not happy with the mxz rear skid cannot wheelie a non turbo 1200 so i ended up with a summit xp skid we will see which one works best with the turbo that i have pre ordered from brand x:D oddly enough this sled only felt slightly front right heavy with stock muffler a little shock air pressure on the right and not to bad rode with xp 800s and held my own and hung tight boondocking now add turbo the fun factor will raise to 240ish used tunnel ext. so overheating on hard pack is something to watch for,my.02 worth i am excited

you can cut the spindles that what i did with my xr 4-stroke Big John did it to his gave me the idea. hope it helps this 4 stroke kicks a$$ good move:face-icon-small-win:beer;

i am also going to have the same thing done i feel that with the currant weight it could stand to be as narrow as a xp the easier they are to tip the better i feel at the end of the day

Premium Features

Back