• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check this out

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Not coupled, stock set up had the small gas can and small mountain addiction bag.
The road was rough but have been down it many many times on my M1000 with out any trouble.
I'm a little disappointed. I will see what the dealer says about it.

Tar

I
Nov 26, 2007
head over to the polaris section, we have hundreds of tunnel fixing and strengthening plates!

never seen a cat like that, hope your dealer does something about it.

Yep, did that exact thing to a 2011 pro within the first hundred miles. It was from bottoming the rear skid and their rivets weren't getting a good grip.

Hopefully they warranty that, try stiffening your rear shock afterwards.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Yep, did that exact thing to a 2011 pro within the first hundred miles. It was from bottoming the rear skid and their rivets weren't getting a good grip.

Hopefully they warranty that, try stiffening your rear shock afterwards.

Yep it's from bottoming out, when the rails hit the axle the only thing that will give is the tunnel.
The tunnel will bend or bow out.
I've been riding a long time and had many sleds I think this is the first bent tunnel.
Are there any stiffener plates or kit to reinforce the tunnel?

Tar

Reactions: christopher

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
That right there is a prime example of Cat vs Yamaha build quality. If that was a Yamaha design it would come with a 20lb steel plate already in there, it'd weigh a ton but it wouldn't fold like tin foil.

M5

LOL!! I bent the stock tunnel on an Apex once. Only cost me 3 grand to fix it(CR):lol:

T
Feb 18, 2015
I have exactly the same problem on my viper with 400 miles. What did you do to repair yours and prevent reoccurrence. Looks like the arctic cat proclimb rear bumper from cat accessories adds some support to this area.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I have exactly the same problem on my viper with 400 miles. What did you do to repair yours and prevent reoccurrence. Looks like the arctic cat proclimb rear bumper from cat accessories adds some support to this area.

I haven't done any thing yet. Called the dealer, was told yamaha would fix it no problem.
I was told Yamaha will not fix it till they find the cause and a fix that will last.
Summer project I guess.

Tar

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Had the same issue with my '12 HCR. Ended up dropping the suspension out with a middle shock relocate and using the lower holes on the rear mount.

Don't know where all that sit's with the Viper today but the easiest fix is taller bump stops for the rear arm on the rails.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Had the same issue with my '12 HCR. Ended up dropping the suspension out with a middle shock relocate and using the lower holes on the rear mount.

Don't know where all that sit's with the Viper today but the easiest fix is taller bump stops for the rear arm on the rails.

Thanks, I can't be the only one. I don't ride that hard.
I will wait and see what yamaha does.

Looks to me the rear suspension mount should go up inside the tunnel further.
It bent where the mount stoped, about an inch from the bottom.

It took me 5 minutes to straighten it with a really big welding clamp, didn't even take the seat or tank off.

Tar

Last edited:
T
Feb 18, 2015
Tunnel repair / bumper install

In my case, dealer suspected tunnel bent due to aftermarket fuel tanks mounted on tunnel - no warranty help on this from Yamaha. I was able to straighten the tunnel fairly easily and then installed the arctic cat pro climb rear bumper to strengthen the affected area. This rear bumper does an effective job at reinforcing the problem spot.
Previously I had two small mountain addiction fuel tanks on the rear of the tunnel with an arctic cat shovel bag in front. To reduce the load on the tunnel, I relocated the fuel tanks directly behind the seat and installed a mountain addiction bag behind them. When I take the tanks off early in the day, I can move the bag to behind the seat.
Only one ride on it after this repair, holding up well, don't expect any further problems.

Rear bumper close.jpg Rear bumper overall.jpg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You cant really fault Yamaha for not warrantying it i guess. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow though.

Sounds like you made the necessary changes to the sled to help prevent it from happening again. Sorry to hear they did not step up and help you out at least a little considering its s brand new sled and all. Glad to hear things are back on track

Premium Features