• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cdi pin release issue

S
Hey all looking for some help. Sat evening I broke one of the coil wires right where it comes out of the cdi box. I figured it would be an easy fix but given where it broke I have no wire sticking out to pull on when I push in to release the pin. I kind of expected to still be able to push the pin out with the screwdriver as I released it but after fussing for an hr yesterday that's not happening either. I can get it to move like a 1/8" but that's all.
I can pretty much see straight thru( most of the actual wire is gone now) and I'm a bit worried the lock is messed up but seems like it should slide out.
Any ideas??? Much appreciated!

I take it you're talking about a pin / wire in a plug that goes into the box?

They can be frustrating at times. I've had good luck with a small dental pick in from the wire direction while pulling on the wire. Without wire, you'll probably have to push the pin with another pick or tool of some kind.

If the retaining catch ends up breaking, don't worry. It only holds the pin in place. A dob of silicone in from the wire side will do the same when you get the wire re-attached.

This also depends if the retainer is in the plug, or a barb on the pin. The latter, you'll have both tools in the same end....I'm sure you get the picture. Release catch with one, remove with the other. Bruit force here is not your friend. Just keep at it, and be patient. Hopefully you won't have to remove the others because you can't work with one wire shorter than the others. Life gets to be a real pain then. Ask me how I know :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I ended up eventually getting it out with next size up screwdriver pushing it out and grinding down a pair of tweezers to fit it in the other end and pull.. Certainly not something I'd want to deal with on regular basis!!

Premium Features

Back