• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cascade Playtime Rentals SUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Get all of your money back.

I've worked for collection agencys before.

The credit card companies WILL side with you, especially if you had no contract and he stole money from you for the second day with out your permission. Report it as theft as well as service not provided.

I would assume the last confirmation you had with him was only for the days you chose to rent.

Good luck and go Get'm. Business like that ruin it for everyone.

S
Jan 7, 2013
Fuel for thought...

I was a paid member of this forum a few years back, stopped paying and forgot my login info, so I've opened a new account (for those who noticed I just signed up to reply to this post)

I just wanted to add my two cents about Cascade Playtime since I see over 1,600 members have viewed this thread and several have opted NOT to do business with them because of it.

I have dealt MANY times with Shawn and Katrenia over the years... I have even rented sleds from them several times. One instance was when I held a conference for management and flew in reps who came as far a Atlanta, Dallas, D.C., and LA. At first we had several issues with the sleds, but Shawn was more than amicable in resolving the matter. Also, we used his trailer and hauled them to Sugarloaf in Leavenworth (Shawn and his crew knew our intentions and gave suggestions) so to the gentleman who stated he couldn't drive to Easton, I am puzzled as to why you were told otherwise unless it is new policy.

Regardless, when we brought the vehicles back, he credited us a full day because of continued difficulty with one of the sleds... it was a two passenger trail sled and when both riders were on board a shock would drop rendering it not ride-able...now if only one were on, it was fine. I do not think that they had knowledge of this unless they tested each unit out with two riders at the shop, which isn't likely. I contacted him immediately and gave him the information, prior to our return... maybe by calling in advance and letting them know helped my situation? Also, I still have the paper which I signed from Cascade Playtime which specifically states the terms for rental and my election to NOT buy an insurance rider, it states the terms for the return times and that you will be charged if NOT returned on time... I am wondering if anyone called them and l told them the situation in the morning to give them a heads up. Assuming there wasn't communication, I too guess that I would have charged you as well...If there was, then I agree, there should have been an amicable discussion.

I have had great experiences from them in regard to my purchases and exceptional deals at times. I can HONESTLY say that they do care about the customer and don't feel that they should be boycotted over someone else's experience alone.

Shawn is an unusual person to say the least, but he is a family man who has a business and that business can be very trying and difficult. He may not be your typical Nordstrom's Customer Service type, but let's give him a break. Haven't you ever been in a situation where you were judged by someone else's "one side of the story" experience? Just sayin

Having been a business owner, I guess I understand the frustrations that come along with the benefits. You are ALWAYS getting hit up for a deal or a discount... and I mean ALWAYS. Where I empathize with the purchaser, sometimes I would have to say no or think about why I started my company... to make money, let's be honest. I had a restaurant and most would complain about the meal after consuming the ENTIRE plate... seriously?! It wasn't good enough, but you ate it anyway? Hmmmm...

Now, from a bystanders perspective... I have seen his rental out on the mountains MANY times... people don't care the least about completely trashing them! They are really quite reckless and abusive with them and I couldn't even imaging treating one of my sleds like that! I have witnessed their crew having to tow them from the bottom of gulches, peel them off trees, and many more different situations caused by neglect of the rider, not just the mechanic. Now, are they all perfectly maintained? Well, probably not, but I know I have issues with my sleds everytime I let my son borrow it. It never comes back the same and it usually takes me half a days ride to realize the problems. These machines aren't cheap (I think we all know this) and the rental price doesn't compare to the price of the initial purchase, the upkeep, the liability insurance, or the Excedrin needed to deal with all the BS.

I just wish a few would realize that **** happens, and sometimes we are the fly and sometimes we are the windshield...

Thanks for letting me give my opinion... I figured it would be ok as everyone else has given theirs.

Last edited:
L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
X2. Only drawback is Matt doesn't have 800's but his 600 etec's run good and depending on the rider might be all you need anyway. He's working with his insurance company on the 800's and hopes to make them available next season.

Thax for the info PB........Most that rent have limited experience. Probably not a good thing to have them on move than 600cc......I'm sure there are exceptions......Matt and Webb do a good job....Especially if you ride a kTM in the off season....

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I think Snow Day hit the nail on the head.
I have rented from Cascade many times and have always been treated more than fair. They also gives the best deals on gear anywhere.
I would not hesitate to go back and rent more sleds. Shaun has helped me out several times for no other reason but to be a good guy. Ive heard the same thing from many other sledders and I talk to alot of you guys.
Often there are other issues behind someones Grievances. I'm not necessarily saying thats the case here. But its something to think about.
I hope the OP called ahead and mentioned he was having issues, otherwise this thread is way off base.
What do you think would happen should you rent a car, have an issue ,work on the car yourself and then without a phone call bring it in 4 hrs late?

Last edited:
L
Feb 11, 2012
Interesting, so the sleds were due back in the morning at a certain time and instead of simply calling Shawn to say they wouldn't start and ask him how he wants to proceed, you wrenched on them for a few hours, waited for others to return to help load them, then returned them late and expected him to be ok about it??? What am I missing here? On top of this, it was New Years week, one of the busiest times of the year and likely he had those sleds rented out to other customers (that he may of had to turn away) hence why he charged you. I'm pretty sure like most business owners in these tough economic times, his business is his livelihood and he's not just doing it as a hobby. I also understand there is usually three sides to every story so it's hard to say exactly what the circumstances were in this situation, it just seems that a simple phone call could have helped prevent this.

His business has been around quite awhile and in my experiences in dealing with him, he's always been laid back and fair. As someone else mentioned, there's always the people that trash rentals as they have ZERO respect for what's not theirs which unfortunately the issues are sometimes discovered by the next person renting. I occasionally rent heavy equipment, I'm pretty confident that if the equipment failed and I called them immediately to let them know, that I wouldn't be charged additional hours. On the other hand, if I didn't call and just showed up 3-4 hours late, I should expect to pay the overage.

I
Nov 5, 2012
I didn't find any cell phone coverage in that area (at least anywhere north of Roslyn). I also would be unable to load a non functioning sled by myself without a winch. Just to point out that the OP may have had some of these issues.

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
Interesting, so the sleds were due back in the morning at a certain time and instead of simply calling Shawn to say they wouldn't start and ask him how he wants to proceed, you wrenched on them for a few hours, waited for others to return to help load them, then returned them late and expected him to be ok about it??? What am I missing here? On top of this, it was New Years week, one of the busiest times of the year and likely he had those sleds rented out to other customers (that he may of had to turn away) hence why he charged you. I'm pretty sure like most business owners in these tough economic times, his business is his livelihood and he's not just doing it as a hobby. I also understand there is usually three sides to every story so it's hard to say exactly what the circumstances were in this situation, it just seems that a simple phone call could have helped prevent this.

His business has been around quite awhile and in my experiences in dealing with him, he's always been laid back and fair. As someone else mentioned, there's always the people that trash rentals as they have ZERO respect for what's not theirs which unfortunately the issues are sometimes discovered by the next person renting. I occasionally rent heavy equipment, I'm pretty confident that if the equipment failed and I called them immediately to let them know, that I wouldn't be charged additional hours. On the other hand, if I didn't call and just showed up 3-4 hours late, I should expect to pay the overage.

first post huh? must be somebody in the shawn camp

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
food for thought. since everyone has chimed in as well.. I want a turn..

If you are already north of Roslyn and your phone does not reach out.. you are most likely a 5 minute drive to Cascade Playtime.

I don't know about anyone else, but if it were me? broke down rented sleds, can't call the owner of shop and I am a seriously short drive down to the shop, I would have drove down there, told the guy the sleds are broke down and that he needs to send some one to come help get them back.. instead of wasting all kinds of time tinkering with them..

I have heard stories of their crappy rental sleds.. but I only have one experience with them. We stopped there to buy oil one morning last winter. my sister realized she forgot her helmet at the cabin, which was a unload and sled ride back up to get it.. Shawn loaned her one for the day for FREE.. we returned it the next day, no cost.. while he was cocky as crap (pffft) he was pretty nice to offer up the helmet for free..

L
Feb 11, 2012
first post huh? must be somebody in the shawn camp

Once again, I must be missing something. So because it's my first post (although I've been on here a year), how would that make me from Shawn's camp?? Other than a satisfied customer of theirs, I have no affiliation with CP.

Actually, if you really must know, I hail from the camp of common sense. But thanks for your helpful post there MountainRiderM7, were your previous 343 posts as insightful as this one??

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
Once again, I must be missing something. So because it's my first post (although I've been on here a year), how would that make me from Shawn's camp?? Other than a satisfied customer of theirs, I have no affiliation with CP.

Actually, if you really must know, I hail from the camp of common sense. But thanks for your helpful post there MountainRiderM7, were your previous 343 posts as insightful as this one??

lol

you-mad-bro-.jpg

summitriders36

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
I met Shawn for the first time this fall while we were both working the snow shows. There was an issue with the booth we were assigned at the venue in Denver. Shawn traded booths with our company so that we could still work the show. He had no reason to help us other than to just be a good guy. In fact he didn't even know us at the time, he just did what he did as a favor to us. I've never rented anything from Cascade Playtime, but my experience with Shawn and his company has been all good.

Reactions: off road rider
Dec 21, 2007
First off, I want to start by saying that I know HOHO98925, the originator of this thread, and I am here to tell you that he is the biggest crook around. Dont let him sit here and slander a guy (Shaun Parker) that much of us know does a lot to help many people out. This thread was started by a guy that has stolen from many people and is all around a no good person. I do not like to put names out there, but since he wants to drop Shaun Parkers name, I will drop his. This was posted by Joe Mallory. If you do not know him, ask around about him. As far as rental sleds go, all rental sleds get beat on. If you want to be sure that you are not going to have any problems, buy your own sled and maintain it yourself. I am sure I will get a lot of crap on here for posting this, but I fully stand behind cascade playtime. They have always taken good care of me and everyone I know. As for the rest of you that want to jump on the slander bandwagon, thats pretty sad.

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
First off, I want to start by saying that I know HOHO98925, the originator of this thread, and I am here to tell you that he is the biggest crook around. Dont let him sit here and slander a guy (Shaun Parker) that much of us know does a lot to help many people out. This thread was started by a guy that has stolen from many people and is all around a no good person. I do not like to put names out there, but since he wants to drop Shaun Parkers name, I will drop his. This was posted by Joe Mallory. If you do not know him, ask around about him. As far as rental sleds go, all rental sleds get beat on. If you want to be sure that you are not going to have any problems, buy your own sled and maintain it yourself. I am sure I will get a lot of crap on here for posting this, but I fully stand behind cascade playtime. They have always taken good care of me and everyone I know. As for the rest of you that want to jump on the slander bandwagon, thats pretty sad.

how is it a "slander bandwagon" if we have had personal negative expieriences that we are sharing? please explain how that is sad. whats sad is that people are getting frustrated with others for sharing their thoughts.

L
Feb 11, 2012
Well look at that, another insightful post by MountainRiderM7! Surprised you're not accusing them of also being in Shawn's camp. But hey, why don't you enlighten us on where all these other negative experiences are at? From what I see in all these posts, there's a lot of ASSumptions being made based on what one person "claims" happened without anyone knowing all the facts. Other than that I see comments about the rentals being rough which, well, comes with the territory, and comments about taking business elsewhere based on that post. Then there's the comments about taking advantage of the situation by contesting charges based on what appears to be an agreement in good faith w/o a formal contract. That might just maybe be the reference to the "slander bandwagon", just maybe.

This might come as a shock to some, especially you MountainRiderM7, but sometimes the customer ISN'T right!

I

icepole123

Oct 9, 2008
personnely i dont give a **** if i need something from playtime i will get it . and that is good for me so i can go sleddin the rest of the day. isnt that what it its all about.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
Take your money across the street....Deal with Tim or Don at the Last Resort for rentals, repairs, gear, rooms, meals, etc.....You'll be much happier.....

+1 for using Tim or Don across the street at Last Resort. Much better experience. I have my own story renting a PoS from Cascade Playtime and won't go back.

+1 here, Don, Marg, Tim and Von know how to run a successful business that relies on customer service.

I've been into Cascade once and customer service was pretty much non-existent. So my biz has always gone elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features