• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carl's 975 Dead.. Can I replace w/ stock 900?

C
Sep 8, 2012
Idaho
Hi All,
First of all, I have been reading your posts for the last two seasons and thank you! I've learned a ton. That said, my 05 RMK w/ a Carl's 975 kit took a dive last Saturday. I took off the top end and while the pistons/cylinders did not seize, a portion of the lower housing on one cylinder chipped off and at least one bearing on the crank is grinding.. I'm told to get her back on the snow, I would have to rebuild the crank, purchase a cylinder, pay to get it bored out and replace the pistons while i'm in there.. None of which I have ever done before.. Anyways my questions to you are:
1. I see a stock 05 900 motor on ebay for $1500.. Could I buy this and install it without too much trouble? Or is there programming of the computer and other things that need to be switched out since it would be going back to running pump gas?
2. Is it worth more than the $800, I was offered by a guy who is willing to part it?

Cheers to you all!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Yes, you can switch it to a 900. You will need to take it to the dealer and get the ecu reflashed back to a 900 once you get the engine switched. Will be about $60 depending on what they charge you for labor.

J
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis Area
1500 for a stock motor sounds a little high. Unless you are in a rush you might want to wait a while. I picked one up last year for a lot less. I know there were some this year in the swap section of the forum for less. Snoghost had one for 600 without Stator or clutch...but that sold. I was late trying to buy it for a spare.

I have a 166 I may be parting out. The motor has about 2500 miles on it. Hate parting out good sleds but I have too many 900's

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
As others stated, you can install a stock '05 engine back in, just need to get the dealer to reflash ecu for stock programming.

Most of the 900 used parts on ebay are priced ridiculous, wish they all had a "or best offer" as most are priced pretty close to new parts. Even the new aftermarket parts like pipes or intakes are priced same as new from companies, and higher then what they do have on sale. If I were to buy a new pipe or intake I would be glad to buy new from SLP or Timbersled or Fire n Ice and support there business rather then support some random shop on ebay.

Rant over, If there is a spare engine for sale in one of the snow site classifieds then for sure it will be cheaper then the ebay one.

Reactions: guidoxpress
J
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis Area
I know what you mean about March not November. I have a 11 switchback that was having intermittent surging issues. Was still under warranty so took it back to the dealer. It's been two weeks and they still can't figure it out.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I would think you could fix the 975 for under $1000... depending on what the crank rebuild with cost you. But you can send that cylinder to either Millennium or Langcourt and they can fix it for you... I broke a 910 cylinder once and Langcourt fixed it as good as new for only a couple of hundred dollars.

Cranks, I don't know... don't know what people are charging to do a 900 crank.

sled_guy

Premium Features