• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

carb boot(delaminateing)

M
Nov 26, 2007
canada
does any body have pictures of there(some) carb to airbox boots delaminateing. I have an 2004 800HO REV. Mine look kinda funny on the outside edges??? i want to know if i should change them

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
the surface of the rubber near the 8mm bolts goes from smooth to rough looking. If you have an 04 with some miles on it, chances are yours are starting to come apart. You can patch em for awhile but they will come apart. did my bro's 04 last year and my 06 still look fine.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
I have a 2004 and they are delaminating pretty bad. The local shop mentioned that I should change them pretty soon as they will start to leak and lean out the fuel mixture. You know what that means!!! I just got the new ones in so I can start the project of changing them. They mentioned that it was pretty common on the early revs, for some reason.
Good-luck!!

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I have a 2004 and they are delaminating pretty bad. The local shop mentioned that I should change them pretty soon as they will start to leak and lean out the fuel mixture. You know what that means!!! I just got the new ones in so I can start the project of changing them. They mentioned that it was pretty common on the early revs, for some reason.
Good-luck!!
Just read this post and wanted to say i rode my 05 for a total of 6 days with those boots leaking. (mine went bad twice, blame it on the lexans and not having the airbox secured well enough, any who..
The boots didnt lean mine out at all, it made it run and sound like crap below 5000rpm but after that it ran like a monster, stop, check the plugs and they are still brown. Lots of deposits on them, but its always been that way. My .02 cents on the matter, get VF boots, the reeds are gay but the boots havent torn in 2 years since

Big B

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 30, 2008
Olympia,Wa
I had same problem with my 04 Rev. They were back ordered Back in 06 so I bought force 3 reeds. They come with new boots. The throttle response was great. Best sled I've owned.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Here's a few pics of mine. I smeared some silicone on them to help hold them together for a few more rides while waiting for new ones to show up. Best I could do on short notice.

carb boots 001.jpg carb boots 003.jpg carb boots 004.jpg

Yup! those are going/gone! Mine did that this year, 01' 800, went Boyesen's with the all aluminum cages with just a rubber replacable boot for the connection, awesome setup, great fit, better throttle response, and will NEVER have a delamination problem!

May seem expensive to put new reeds in but is a whole lot cheaper than a piston, Nic job, and THEN new reeds.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Replace them right away! This is what happened to a buddies sled.
This
Blowdupdoo014.jpg

Caused this!
Blowdupdoo012.jpg

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
does any body have pictures of there(some) carb to airbox boots delaminateing. I have an 2004 800HO REV. Mine look kinda funny on the outside edges??? i want to know if i should change them

If you have to ask then just do it.

Mine looked like a thin layer of rubber peeling up from the bolts.

I changed them and now I sleep easily knowing my sled won't blow up.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

^See? See how nice that is? You deserve that kind of peace and happiness.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Use the boysen rage cage, never have to worry about it again and I think they are about the same price as same v-force3:eek:

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Rage cage all the way.

Skibreeze, just curious, how did the piston skirt have to do with the lean conditions? My motor did the same, but I had the new reeds in.

By the Way, you HAVE to take the reed boots off to see if there is internal cracking. It may not show like the pictures. Those are severe cases if you see a total delam.

Last edited:
Premium Features