• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bumpers.....again

C
Mar 15, 2018
I'm thinking that, with the way I ride, that a better front bumper might be a prudent investment for my new SummitX. I have read many threads on the subject here and on Dootalk and I'm THINKING I like the Backwoods but I can not find anywhere in Canada to get one. I am not dead set on the backwoods, am also considering the BRP cast bumper and the BM Fab bumper (which appears to be the same as the backwoods). I also looked at the Smithgrade. Am open to any and all thoughts on the subject as well as suggestions as to where to find the backwoods and/or BM fab in Canada. Thanks.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I'm thinking that, with the way I ride, that a better front bumper might be a prudent investment for my new SummitX. I have read many threads on the subject here and on Dootalk and I'm THINKING I like the Backwoods but I can not find anywhere in Canada to get one. I am not dead set on the backwoods, am also considering the BRP cast bumper and the BM Fab bumper (which appears to be the same as the backwoods). I also looked at the Smithgrade. Am open to any and all thoughts on the subject as well as suggestions as to where to find the backwoods and/or BM fab in Canada. Thanks.
It's nice to support local Canadian companies especially getting dinged with duties on American products. Smithgrade are really nice bumpers with integrated skid plate made in Canada and would be my first choice. I had a Backwoods bumper on my 2018 skidoo, nice product. At the time they were one of the only bumpers that would work with a skid plate. Altitude Power Sports out of Edmonton sells and stocks Backwoods, Ben is a great guy to deal with. The skidoo cast bumper is really nice and will work with a skid plate, offers good protection but a little less then the other 2 brands mentioned. A buddy in my riding group has one on his turbo, zero complaints.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I've had the BRP cast front bumper for couple years now and it's perfect IMO. Can't say the same thing of the rear cast one tho.
It's nice to support local Canadian companies especially getting dinged with duties on American products. Smithgrade are really nice bumpers with integrated skid plate made in Canada and would be my first choice. I had a Backwoods bumper on my 2018 skidoo, nice product. At the time they were one of the only bumpers that would work with a skid plate. Altitude Power Sports out of Edmonton sells and stocks Backwoods, Ben is a great guy to deal with. The skidoo cast bumper is really nice and will work with a skid plate, offers good protection but a little less then the other 2 brands mentioned. A buddy in my riding group has one on his turbo, zero complaints.

T
May 16, 2019
Been running the Smithgrade rear bumper for a few years. Excellent product, fit and finish is spot on, definitely recommend.
33eef7710c071685c16abd20e9c1578e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Make sure you have a long spring puller to get those exhaust springs off. Biggest pain in that install.

C
Mar 15, 2018
Make sure you have a long spring puller to get those exhaust springs off. Biggest pain in that install.
Yes. I installed bumper yesterday. The springs on the Y pipe came off easy enough and the clutch side one went on easy (I modified a tool for that one) but the other two required some colourful, four letter "persuading" to get back on.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I have 2 gen 4s with Rasmussen bumpers on them and 1 with a Smithgrade. I like both of them. I do believe that Smithgrade is out of Canada so that might make it a little easier.

Premium Features