• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken spring killed motor?

C
Dec 31, 2014
Rigby, ID
My wife was riding her 2005 RMK 700 about 3/4 throttle, slightly up hill in soft snow and it died. It felt funny when i pulled the rope but had compression so i was thinking crank bearing. I looked it over and found a broken primary clutch spring. After a little cussing i pulled about 10 more times, got it started, and rode it out and it acted fine. Can a broken clutch spring kill the motor and make it feel funny to turn over or is it more likely the crank bearing is on the verge and i just got lucky enough to ride it out? 2450 miles, the sled has always ran great

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The front left engine mount may be busted. It is difficult to tell when the front right mount is still intact. You have to look real close and try lifting on the engine. A broken mount allows the block to twist and kill the engine from increased friction on the bearings, presumably.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
A broken primary will sometimes make it pull over hard because the clutch don't fully disengage. The belt will ride hard on the shelves if it is partially engaged. You can pull the belt and check it and it will probably feel normal.

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
Is your clutch bolt tight? Usually the clutch falls off when the crank breaks on the pro side.

Premium Features