• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken oil line - ran sled till it shut down - questions

F
Oct 19, 2011
This post is for my friend:

Unaware to me, my oil line cracked and emptied the oil reservoir. I was cruising taking it easy going around 25mph and the sled just died. I am uncertain if the oil light or temp gauge came on, it was a bright day.
What is an expected compression I should expect - sled is a 1996 Skandic with 1300 miles?
I'm going to pull the exhaust and try to inspect the cylinder walls for possible scoring. This sled is new to me, so I don't know if it shut down due to heat (safety feature)?
Without pulling the heads, what other ideas do you guys have for determing the damage - if any, I may have done?
Worst case scenario I expect a new top end with a possible cylinder boring, what would you expect for a cost for parts excluding labor?
I appreciate any feedback, I need this sled to be reliable, not a lake sled! I am currently going through the entire sled - lines, idler bearings, etc.
Thanks for any info!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Does the motor still turn over or is it locked up tight? As for cost it varies depending on what parts and brand you go with.

F
Oct 19, 2011
motor turns over fine. He filled the oil tank back up and drove it the 10 miles home. Sled ran fine and turns over freely.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If the sled has a safety switch that shut it down from the oil tank low or empty you are prolly fine. If it stuck from no oil in the cylinders you got problems. Have you pulled the y pipe off yet and looked at the pistons? If the psitons are scored you might get by with replacing them and cleaning the cylinder walls.

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
You seized it. If main line broke, than you used oil in line and then none. Compression under/over 100? Hopefully just a top end, but crankshaft should be inspected carefully for heat on rod ends and bearing runout. Better safe than sorry..when you lose oil, it effects entire engine.

Premium Features