• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bolt breaking on lower sprocket in chaincase.

L

locknload

I have an 03 700 vertical edge and for the second time in 2.5 years the bolt broke on the bottom sprocket in the chain case. Other then the obvious (getting a different grade bolt) why am I having a problem with these breaking. Tommorow I am going to pull the shaft out and extract the broken piece and im thinking of drilling and tapping it larger to help avoid this problem in the future. Any thoughts?

It is a fairly common problem with the early edges. Mostly due to over torqueing the bolt. However, I believe the 04/05's came with a 3/8 bolt rather than the 5/16" that the 02/03's had. I know several people that have drilled them out and tapped them for 3/8" and have no issues after doing that. Luckily, I haven't broke one yet on any of our 3 edges.

heat it up and the bolt will just spin out with a pick or a screwdriver. I always torque the bolt and use loctite. it seems they either brake or back out. both cause alot of damage

It is a fairly common problem with the early edges. Mostly due to over torqueing the bolt. However, I believe the 04/05's came with a 3/8 bolt rather than the 5/16" that the 02/03's had. I know several people that have drilled them out and tapped them for 3/8" and have no issues after doing that. Luckily, I haven't broke one yet on any of our 3 edges.

X2^^^^ Polaris issued a Team Tip to address this issue. They recommended that when the 5/16 bolt failed to drill and tap for a 3/8 bolt. You will want to loctite the 3/8 bolt also.

wish I would have heard about this a few weeks ago!! Lost my bolt in my chaincase and it grenaded the case, ate the chain and almost sent shrapnel through my footwell!!! Very bad day all around!
I just got it all back together and ready to run. Used blue locktite on the bolt this time

Chris

Premium Features

Back