• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowing Belts

M
Nov 12, 2013
I have a 2014 Freeride 154, and am loving it. But I just blew a belt at 205 miles.
Seems like belts should last a little longer than that, since they cost so much.

Any ideas of what could be wrong, or what to do to get better life out of the belts?

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
It might be the alignment of the clutch is probley off mine did at 200 miles but turbo the 2 clutch looks like its a little off on mine we have two stockers now with around 500 miles still good.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I would clean your clutches. In the first few hundred miles from new tra clutches are prone to having sticky arms which can cause belt failure. I would start there.

C

caldbeckchris

Aug 8, 2010
MT
might check the temps your primary is creating. My 163 was getting way hot in stock form, my dealer recommended venting. problem solved.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have owned several XPs and a couple of XMs. I have NEVER had a belt actually blow. Closest I came was a belt with cords pulling at about 700 miles. I usually change them out at about 600-800 miles if I am losing performance. Does your clutch work well? Do you hold 7900 RPM? Does it backshift well? Is it stock or modified? Are you running the clutch cover? Something is up, you should get 3-4 times the belt life you just saw.

M
Nov 12, 2013
Mine didnt actually blow either, I heard a noise, checked it out and a bunch of the cords were coming out. My clutch seems to work great. I hold about 8000 RPM when im taped pulling a hillclimb. It is stock and i am running the clutch cover.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Mine didnt actually blow either, I heard a noise, checked it out and a bunch of the cords were coming out. My clutch seems to work great. I hold about 8000 RPM when im taped pulling a hillclimb. It is stock and i am running the clutch cover.

should be 7900 and like someone said, clean your belt and clutches from residue, and break in your belt, most guys just put one on and go rip, breaking in a belt is important, on the ride out break in your spare, then when you put it on after blowing one it is good. I have a few sleds but all had 2000km on them last year with same belt. Ray Mason from totally awesome adventures put 9000km on one belt on his 163...all deep pow riding. The new belts last...but you have to do maintenance on them. The sleds are also so easy to ride now non-stop, you do have to let the clutches cool down, I rode non-stop in 100cm's on Saturday, I was through a tank of fuel in 3 hrs...belt looks new.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
look at mtntk blow hole,it flat out works and pulls plenty of heat out of the clutch area,way more than venting especially when your just crawling along

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
similar here on my 13. Got 200something on my first belt, and it didn't blow, but was losing another cord & looked ready, cleaned clutches, cleaned next belt before install & the next one looks great with another 600+ on it.

On my 14 I put all of 50 feet on it driving it to the sled deck, then cleaned & scotchbrited the clutches, then cleaned the new belt with soapy water. I put the 600 miles belt from the 13 on it then, I'm curious to see how many miles I can get from it. I've also got lots of venting now too, which sure helps.

M

mikesbike2003

Jan 1, 2009
Idaho Falls,Idaho
Mine lost some cords at 600
I had washed the belt and cleaned everything when new.
I noticed the sheaves were trashed looking everytime i came back from a ride. I would wash belt blow clutches and clean sheaves.
When the belt blew the cords it was a heavy wet snow day. I figured that was the cause? When was installing the new belt I found both left motor mount bolts were loose.
Back one behind the clutch was stripped out. Bolt is too short in my opinion. Pulled it out and put longer bolt in with loctite. Also loctited front bolt.
Added the QRSlink stabalizer.
Ran sled twice now and sheaves are almost spotless...

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
Also noticed the sheaves getting quite dirty on mine, haven't lost a belt yet but just cleaned all the rubber off the sheaves about 80 miles ago and can't even tell I touched them. I will have to look at the motor mounts,thanks for the heads up

Premium Features