• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Horns

J

jarrodmaas

Dec 28, 2009
Haven't heard much on the big horns this year, Just wondering if anyone has rode out of bear lodge and if its any good

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I heard it's decent. We are heading out there Weds. It would be nice to hear from someone that rode there last weekend.

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
We are heading out next week on the 17th. I would also like to hear how it is. Following.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
We are headed out tomorrow morning. I will report back in a couple of days.

whizzer182

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2011
We rode out of Bear Lodge Jan 28th - 30th. They had gotten new snow that week, so we were pretty fortunate. Still a lot of grass and sagebrush poking through the snow in a lot of places then. Where we were was pretty tracked up by the end of the weekend, but don’t know the area very well, so we stayed fairly close to the trails.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
We rode to our "go to" spot on the 10th. Decent snow. Not a ton of fresh powder. It started snowing that night and we expected 3". We woke up to 6" and it snowed all day on the 11th. 12"+ at Bear Lodge. Poor visibility in the snow on the 11th made it difficult but we rode in some of the best powder we've ever had in the Big Horns. Still not much for base. We managed to hit a couple of rocks and bent some A-Arms and messed up my knee. Saturday the 19th was a blue bird day with fresh powder from the day before. It was an awesome trip. It looks like they are getting more snow this week, so should be good up there for a while now.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
rode saturday put on 80 miles. the least snow ive ever ridden there. Rode all the way from bear lodge to high country and only found a few decent spots on some north facing slopes in the trees. still made a fun day but was really surprised at how low the snow was compared to the sno tel, a lot of sage brush rocks and grass.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I Rode on Sat the 26th from Bear Lodge to Granite Pass (about all there is left). Trail had cover going out and got warm during the day with about a foot of wet heavy snow. Got pinned near a fence line and broke through the crust to the sugar layer and it was a bear getting her out. Wouldn't give to pivot out, and all the wet heavy stuck up in the 165 track just anchored her down. Got it dug and turned enough, looked like an excavator dug the trench to get out. Saw one large cornice with some big cracks in it. Surprised it had not let go yet. Going back in the last couple miles was scetch with lots of bare spots on the road. Parking lot at bear lodge was an icy swimming pool when we got back. Think this is it for the Big Horns unless she gets hit with another storm and cold temps. Highly unlikely though.

Premium Features