• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best weights to use for boondocker 2013 M8T

HCR10

Premium Member
Installed Boondocker turbo with intercooler on 2013 M8 Im running 9-11,000 feet and 10-12 of boost. With the 80 gram weights that came with kit its only turning 77'-7800 RPM Woundering what weights everyone is Running Cutler, MDS extra also what gram I would like to see 81-8200 RPM

Im running 78 gram cat weights with 8-10 psi and I'm right on the money. I didn't like the Cutler weights battled with them for 2 winters. I moved my belt up in the secondary a bit higher then spec seemed to help out the bottom end.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Turbos are easy to clutch, and I have seen them run good with stock clutching and I have seen them run good with other clutching. It's amazing how turbos work, the key is in getting the most out of your turbo. Trust me when You hop on a sled that you just put a turbo on and did nothing with the clutching, they run pretty good but when you put the right clutching in it, it should give you that "rip your arms off" feeling when you grab the throttle.

It's all about loading the turbo at the right time. If you load it to soon, it will be lazy and if you don't load it, it will be whimpy. So the key is in finding that magical set up between the helix and the weights.
I find that most turbo clutching is way off. I like to load a turbo but you need to let it spool first. That is why most put a 36/46 and a high engagement spring thus you get that clunk or harsh engagement.
Even the turbo companies clutches are different for example:

BD Uses light tipped weights like 80 g cat weight, high engagement spring and a 36/46 helix.
OVS uses heavy tips, high engagement spring a multi angle torsion set up.

I like to use a turbo weight, high engagement spring with a straight 44 or 46 helix.

The key is the weights. Giving you a smoother engagement by letting the turbo spool then loads the crap out of the sled. Result is 'pull your arms' off feeling. Clutches work together and turbo is loaded getting maximum power which is good for boondocking or hill climbing.

We have been tuning Arctic Cat turbo sleds since 2007 and this clutch setup is proven to work.

1375030_691651724197286_1879881529_n.jpg

1476417_10202901388605256_1107757010_n.jpg
Hope this helps.

I have the same sled. mine is a 162 I don't know what yours is.
When I first rode it I ran Boondockers clutching.

I now run Dalton adjustable weights. They are very easy to adjust on or off the hill. You can move they weight around in the arm as well to adjust shifting. I have found some after market weights are skinny and wear out roller prematurely. The Daltons are wide similar to the Cat weights

You are going to find that when you start changing your driven set up you are going to want to adjust your weights quickly on the hill.

I like running a reverse cut helix on my turbo eg. 36/40, 36/44, 36/42, ect.

Get your new 2014 clutch on there to.

kevin

kevin im running boondockers 2860 kit on my 2013 800 proclimb. what clutching would you suggest? i run 8-10 pounds boost. would like to see the bottom end a little better

whimpy

Hey Kevin.... Easy on the Whimpy Statements bro... Just sayin......

Just switched from cutler adjustable weight and a torsional conversion to MMSports turbo clutch setup and I will not go back. It flat works!

Premium Features

Back