• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent my 13 XM, will the Insurance total it?

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
I bent my 13 XM pretty bad this a couple weeks ago. Hit a buried stump while carving on the throttle side. Went over the handle bars and the sled went straight down the hill about a quarter mile until it went airborne for about 20 yards and stuffed itself into a snow bank and flopped on its side. I walked down to it and pulled it over and rode it back out of the drainage.

The left shock is no longer centered, the skis are a bit offset, the front bumper is bent up, and the rear bumper is tilted about 1 1/2".

Took it to the dealer and he thinks that the bulkhead and tunnel may be bent. We can not tell till we tear it down completely but as it stands now I am looking at approximately $5000 for repairs (the tunnel alone is $2500). Will the insurance repair it or total it? If they total it, what will they sell it back to me for? It only has 500 miles on it.

It still rides great as I just got back from an awesome 5 day trip to Cooke City. Any info would be appreciated.

M
From what I've been told, IF your tunnel is bent most insurance companies are totaling the sled. Some of the companies will give you a buy back figure and some will not. Each company is different on the amount they will ask for the buy back, but will most likely negotiate with you.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Depends on parts damaged.

the parts that have ANY damage will be replaced, and if the chassis unit/ tunnel needs to be swapped it's a very good chance it will be totalled. Buyback in this case would likely be in the $3500 or so range.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have had both a Doo and a Poo that had damaged bulkhead/ tunnels and neither one was totaled, the Doo was 10k in damage, the Poo was 8k. In both cases I fixed them for 1/4 of that and used the rest to pay them off.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i bent bulkhead and much of the front suspension, hood on mine a couple of years ago....insurance totaled it...bought it back for $1800, built it back for about $2500, sold it for another $600 and had a check for the total amount i bought the sled for as it had less than 500 miles on it..inconvenient, but economically, i made out well..:face-icon-small-ton

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Going to ride it as is for the rest of the season and then tear it down and see what they say. I wish I knew for sure what the insurance was going to do prior to the April 22nd deadline, if they are going to total it I would snow check a new one.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Thanks for the info. Going to ride it as is for the rest of the season and then tear it down and see what they say. I wish I knew for sure what the insurance was going to do prior to the April 22nd deadline, if they are going to total it I would snow check a new one.

If you put it in their hands you should have an answer in about a week or so. No reason you should be worrying about it over a month from now.

ryder88

Lifetime Membership
Sep 12, 2010
Spanish Fork, Utah
As an insurance agent, It certainly depends on the carrier and even more on the claims rep. I can give you some experiences I have seen if you tell me the carrier. I would go ahead and have the dealer write a formal estimate assuming the worst based upon what they see. I would then start the claims process and see what they offer it is ultimately up to you if to accept the decision and claim it or not.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Farmers Union. Still have good snow in our area and plenty of time to ride. Dealer who I trust a lot and has always been fair with me recommends waiting and tearing it down at the end of the season in order to make an accurate estimate.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
See what the buy back is. I'll give you some money to boot. I'm in Lewistown so pick up would be easy. PM me if you want to work something out.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had similar damage last year to a 13XM. Tunnel was twisted, bumper, plastics, and both the E module and an S module needed replacement. Estimate was $6500 and I took the check. When we removed the front end the tunnel went right back to its original shape. I would not replace the tunnel even if its bent a little, doesn't effect performance at all and you can keep the $3000 the insurance paid you for it and you will probably bend it again. :face-icon-small-win Also, if the S module isn't broken you can pull the sleds back pretty straight and I know a rental place that just welds the broken S modules until the end of the season and then just replaces it once before they sell their sleds. A lot depends on how picky you are and if redneck engineering bothers you. If you are mechanically inclined at all take it on as a summer project, looks way more intimidating than it is and it will take you 30 plus hours to do your first one unless you have a buddy with experience who can help/do it for you. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features