• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclaw 3 in Cooke City

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning from Bearclaw and Super 8. The storm is about over and we received 18-20 inches of snow in town over the weekend. The snow on the mountain is again over the windshields. The snowman is calling for sunny days till the weekend. If your still looking at riding, we encourage you to come ride for the best snow of the season.
The super 8 is making a one in a lifetime offer for anyone coming up to Cooke City. If you tell Steve you saw this on Snowest, you'll save more then you did. So come up and ride this April.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: The scariest and most unpredictable problem will be avalanches failing at the ground. Weak layers buried deeper in the pack will most certainly be feeling the stress of the most recent load. On Saturday, a large natural avalanche was observed near the north Face of Mt. Blackmore in the northern Gallatin Range. This slide broke 2-7 feet deep and likely failed on facets near the ground (photo, video). Although the probability of triggering a deep slab avalanche is fairly low, the consequences remain high. Avoiding steep, rocky terrain where the snowpack is shallow and weak is a good way to limit exposure to this problem.

Today, human triggered avalanches are likely and the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE

There are only a handful of people around. There are hardly any tracks. It was another epic day in Cooke. Great time to be snowmobiling and skip the crowds.

You are one lucky dog Tony, to live so close and be able to ride in these epic conditions! Guess what, I'm jealous!

April fools

Good after noon from Bearclaw and Super 8. I would like to tell everyone that it stopped snowing, but I would have to say April fools. This time we have received another 3 inches today and its still snowing. The riding is great and come up and ride one last time.

Just because it starting to get nice in your area, we still have lots of powder and the best riding you've seen all season. Not to many people up here riding, so jump in your truck, back it up and hook up that trailer and come see us.

The Super 8 is running the best special of the season also, just don't forget to mention that you saw it on Snowest to get the deal of the season. We should be able to ride to the end of JUNE.

For the bakery, Terri isn't sure if she is going to be here or not, sadly to say. She is waiting for a group to get back with her to see if she is going to feed them next week.

There was atleaat 8" of fresh yesterday up top and still snowing when we left. Lots of over the windshield pow last three days. Had my first bear claw breakfast burrito AWESOME!!

Plenty of over the bumper pow available around the Long Lake area. Went for a quick run up there tonight to scout it out. I know where I'll be going in the morning!

How far from Cooke to TOW? Never been there before, would love to go! I'm running solo though, so if anyones going let me know.

How far from Cooke to TOW? Never been there before, would love to go! I'm running solo though, so if anyones going let me know.

If you were at Long Lake you were at the TOW. Top of the World.
We will be there tomorrow, six in our group. Should be at the TOW lot around 10:30.
Look for a white 03 GMC crew with sled deck.

Last edited:
If you were at Long Lake you were at the TOW. Top of the World.
We will be there tomorrow, six in our group. Should be at the TOW lot around 10:30.
Look for a white 03 GMC crew with sled deck.

Must be more than one Long Lake then. The Long Lake I was referring to shows up on the map just North of Round Lake. Accessible from Cooke City on the Round Lake trail. Roughly 6 mile trail ride and 2 mile off trail ride from BCB's.

Is the TOW lot (parking lot) the one I parked in an then took the trail to Cooke? I came up 296 for about 50 miles until it came to 212. Went left on 212 for a ways until the road ended at the parking lot.

Everybody tells me that TOW is a good thirty mile trail ride from Cooke and that you go right back through the same parking lot (Pilot Creek) that my truck is parked in.

EDIT: Yup, after studying google maps for the last half hour, I found the Long Lake that you are referring to. It basically butts right up to the Beartooth Highway.

Last edited:
Must be more than one Long Lake then. The Long Lake I was referring to shows up on the map just North of Round Lake. Accessible from Cooke City on the Round Lake trail. Roughly 6 mile trail ride and 2 mile off trail ride from BCB's.

Is the TOW lot (parking lot) the one I parked in an then took the trail to Cooke? I came up 296 for about 50 miles until it came to 212. Went left on 212 for a ways until the road ended at the parking lot.

Everybody tells me that TOW is a good thirty mile trail ride from Cooke and that you go right back through the same parking lot that my truck is parked in.

The TOW parking area is at the 212-296 junction. Best way is to trailer there from Pilot parking area.(pilot is where you are parked).There is a back trail, but riding it reduces the TOW riding. If you come over, bring spare gas to get back to Cooke.
We will have a mixed group tomorrow.

Last edited:
Noticed some pink ribbon riders at the TOW parking area yesterday.

Snow was really good at Mutt and Jeff in Cooke.

Had to miss today to reload. Bob or Bart, how was the TOW?

Red lodge ski resort claiming 28 inches last two days? Whats it look like at TOW TRS??

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back