• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bd Intercooler is it worth it???

M

M1000Mod162

I have a 2010 m8 with a bd non-intercooled turbo, been ruuning around 9lbs, Im going to add Aux inj so I can run 12+ for days when I have extra cash for RG but will probably still run around 9-10lbs 75%of the time! So my question is is it worth upgrading to the latest gen Intercooler with fan???? Will response be much slower? Bd says it will help response but they say that about anything there trying to sell you it seems!
Thanks Ryan

Response is slower because there is more volume, causing the air to have to travel farther. I have not seen much of a benefit to an intercooler unless you are running a fan on it.

The benefit will come from longer sustained WOT pulls and if the cooler is actually getting airflow. For all around riding at your boost levels a proper cold air intake vented outside of the hood will provide more power and help suppress detonation.

I have a 2010 m8 with a bd non-intercooled turbo, been ruuning around 9lbs, Im going to add Aux inj so I can run 12+ for days when I have extra cash for RG but will probably still run around 9-10lbs 75%of the time! So my question is is it worth upgrading to the latest gen Intercooler with fan???? Will response be much slower? Bd says it will help response but they say that about anything there trying to sell you it seems!
Thanks Ryan

They told you response will be better because when your off boost and you wack the throttle, the throttle bodies open and the motor needs air to suck in to get the ball rolling. If there isn't enough volume of air in the air box/intercooler the response will be slower.

The 2011 kits like that worked good and pulled hard. Not sure if you have the full version of that kit with all updates so thats something to look at, and the 2011 mapping was a big factor also. The '10 where finicky as helI.

But the bigger turbo and charge tube without IC will pull faster and harder on less boost.

I don't run a BD setup so please that into consideration.

I have the fan cooled OVS intercooler setup and seldom run a hood or I run a screen hood.

I did a test with and without the intercooler in my intake tract and felt my sled lost nothing on the bottom and definitely gained mid and top with the intercooler on.

This test was done on a spring day, on the same slope, the same lines mostly climbing, and within 15 minutes of each other. I rode all morning without the intercooler(no hood day), plumbed in the intercooler, did my initial testing and rode the rest of the day back to the trucks hitting most of the same bowls and pulls with the intercooler on. I have never taken it off.

I've read lots of negatives about interheaters, but I didn't experienced it. My results may not be the same as yours........hope I didn't muddy your decision too much.......good luck!

Anyone have any idea what charge temp drop is with no intercooler to intercooler (preferably the newest bd Ic) I have what I think is a pretty good cold air intake still keeping it under the hood, my charge temps are generally around 185 avg but when I start climbing or its deep pow at 90% wot It climbs straight to 255 every time, this is also when I tap det sensor after long pulls. So im thinking intercooler will be worth it even if I loose a little response on bottom.

Forget the innerheater on a BD. Been there, done that. As others have said...do the cold air intake and feel the performance difference on those deep days when your hood is completely covered with snow.

Thanks Ryan

What kind of fuel / additive mixture do you run @ 9-10 psi on stock injectors?

Guessing you're in CO So elevation is 9k+ I'd assume?

2011 M8 153"
Boondocker Turbo
KMOD
Built by VOHK

2006 M7 162"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of fuel / additive mixture do you run @ 9-10 psi on stock injectors?

Guessing you're in CO So elevation is 9k+ I'd assume?

2011 M8 153"
Boondocker Turbo
KMOD
Built by VOHK

2006 M7 162"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running straight Av gas at 9-10lbs with dc running 88-92 out! I took it up to 11.3lbs on the last ride of reason wth 112 sunco and av 50/50 last year and still only saw 94 out on dc. Riding at 10,500 ft

I am running an 09 m8 with a bd pump gas kit intercooled and a turbo pipe. I'm also adding aux injectors this season. Since I live in mn I need them just to ride at home. But will be going to wyo and Colorado this year and will be riding between 9-11000'. How much 110 should I run with 91oct mixed in at 12lbs of boost. Any bd numbers for the 2d box would be great to thanks

Premium Features

Back