• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bad gas mileage

S
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure about the mpg but I'm getting a little over 60 miles on a tank of fuel without running out (I've never actually run it till it runs out-anything over that and I'm adding a jerrycan of fuel at some point).

Fuel mileage as a lot more to do with what kind of riding you're doing. If you do a lot of climbing and powder riding with a lot of open throttle you'll drink gas pretty quick.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Never calculated gas mileage on a sled in my life... I'm sure its scary. As long as I can get the 40-50 miles on in a day on my 10 gallon tank I figure i'm doing okay. Unless you are rolling down the trail I can't imagine any need for MPG calculations. If it's running out before all of your buddies then ride less or pack more.

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
i had an 06 m7 and it was pretty bad on gas as wll, never calculated gas mileage. I remember many people complaining about the gas mileage on them. I always strapped a 2.5 gallon gas can to the back just to be safe. The m7's were a great sled, mine never gave me a single problem.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Depends on how deep the snow is! I never plan on more than 60 miles on a tank of pure backcountry free riding... My King Cat was really bad... my M1000 was just a tad better, and my M8 is much better than the other two.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Your M7 is a great sled to ride and alot of fun, but yeah there is a big problem with your mileage. You being out and me having about 2/3 a tank left with the dragon 800 is not good at all. and most of the miles was riding the trail/lake to get to the swamps to ride. Good choice selling it and getting the assault :face-icon-small-coo

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I never try to work out mileage. It's a sled, it's not going to be good. I ride with a few other m1000's so I compare to them. If I'm using a considerable more amount than them then I figure I have a problem. But I've gotten anywhere from about 80km to 170km to my tank plus an extra 20l I always carry and use when I go.

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN
The reason the cat is empty on gas and the dragon having 2/3 tank left is probably due to the cat pulling the poo home after the motor shat the bed. :beer; The fuel tank on the M still has almost 2 gallons left after the gauge reads E but i would definately be looking for a station around the 60 mile mark.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
My 05 M7 got pretty poor mileage until I twin piped it and put on a boondocker box. The mileage actually improved with some fuel management. Never rode with any other sled (that rode as hard) that got any better mileage either. On a deep day with throttle to the bar, your lucky to get 40 miles out of a tank.

W
Jan 11, 2009
Bend
Mine does alright on fuel, but until I dialed the oil back a bit, the oil light would come on after 2/3 a tank of gas. If I can't ride a 150 mile ride without packing oil, something is wrong.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Milage

On my 06 M7 I am lucky to get 70 miles on a tank of deep powder pin it type of day so with an 11 gallon tank thats full and 5 mpg thats 55 miles a tank. 60 miles sounds about average so you are pretty close to it, doesnt sound to far off.

Premium Features