• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry Film Festival, Easton WA NOV 12th

Date officially changed to the 19th!!!

Not sure how many skiers or riders we have in here, but thought you guys may be interested in this charity event in Easton! The Saloon is VERY sled head friendly and has great food. The movies are man powered shredding for the most part, and I know the name WWA will turn some people away, but we are not donating to them so come hang, enjoy some tasty beverages and check out some epic ski and snowboard films with a heavy emphasis on backcountry!

Chair 2 Board Sports is very stoked to invite everyone to our hosting of the '11/'12 Backcountry Film Festival in Easton, WA. November 19th, starting at 6pm. We have partnered up with the find folks at the Easton Saloon (voted best sports bar in town!) to bring the latest round of killer backcountry films! All proceeds go to the Alpental BARK Search and Rescue

In addition to the most radical ski and snowboard powder shots, we will have free giveaways and raffle prizes from our friends at Board Insiders, MOTOR TOYS, Budweiser and more!

The awesome band Mighty High will play after the films as well!

Check out the Backcountry Film Festival site which has a list of films that were shown last year. The movie list for this season will be released oct.15th.

Tickets are $15 online, and $20 at the door! Purchase yours here: BrownPaperTickets.com

Also, check our site! Chair2BoardSports.com

Thanks for taking a look, hope to see you guys there!

Last edited:
they lost me at "and tell a thought-provoking, interesting story of backcountry, non-motorized recreation or environmental preservation."

i use motors to get there ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but looks like the main sponsor in the video is the Winter Wildlands Alliance....isn't that the same group that is doing their best to shut down public lands to snowmobiles in WA? Could see a bit of a rift if you get two groups of opinionated people together at a bar...my two cents!

However, on the flip side sounds like a great fundraiser going to a good cause. Cheers!

If you have a problem and you want it solved. Dont take it upon yourself ,takem to the easton saloon.

There's lots of room out back.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but looks like the main sponsor in the video is the Winter Wildlands Alliance....isn't that the same group that is doing their best to shut down public lands to snowmobiles in WA? Could see a bit of a rift if you get two groups of opinionated people together at a bar...my two cents!

However, on the flip side sounds like a great fundraiser going to a good cause. Cheers!

You are correct, WWA is not a friend of snowmobilers. Not even close. :face-icon-small-fro

http://www.winterwildlands.org/index.php

Contrary to belief, the WWA is friendly to sledders. Many members actually ARE sledders themselves!

Regardless, this event is being put on by locals to support a local k-9 search and rescue group. We (chair 2 boardsports) purchased the films through the WWA with our own money out of pocket, and are not taking any of the proceeds from the event to recover that cost.

That is the only money that the WWA will be getting from this, so none of the tickets sales or raffle money will be donated to the wwa. Like I said, this is put on by us, to support local non-profits. We are hoping to make this a yearly deal and will be choosing a new organization each year to donate to. This year we have selected the Alpental BARK k-9 search and rescue group because of their continued involvment in promoting backcountry safety and they also run the Alpental Beacon Basin (to encourage the proper use and technique in avalanche rescue).

Please don't let your hate for the WWA discourage you guys from attending! We are a sled friendly shop and use snowmobiles to access the goods too!! We have been talking with many local sledders who plan to attend and are also working with local snowmobile shops on raffel prizes as well. The movies are mostly focused on man powered freshies, but we can all enjoy a good pow shred flick together!

Last edited:
A little about the WWA from an interview:

"Land use is a touchy subject for snow and off-road dealers, often spurring an us-against-them mentality for most parties involved in the heated debate. But Mark Menlove, executive director of the Winter Wildlands Alliance, argues that digging deeper into the debate will reveal that us-against-them isn’t the case."

"Certainly a part of our mission is to work for balance between opportunities for non-motorized and motorized winter activities, but to say we're trying to eliminate snowmobiles is simply not true. The fact is, many of our members ride snowmobiles. I have hundreds of hours on a sled. ""The way I see it, snowmobilers and skiers have plenty of common ground and we ought to be able to use that common ground to find solutions to winter recreation issues."

Here is the full transcript of the conversation with Menlove regarding the WWA and its work.: www.winterwildlands.org/news/archive/WWA's Mark Menlove Addresses Snowmobile Dealers.pdf

And, as Brendon previously stated, this is a local event to support the local Avalanche Rescue K9's, and local businesses. Motor Toys is even participating in this event! We all use our sleds to get to the awesome pow, so lets celebrate what Mother Nature has bestowed upon us with powder films, prizes, and live music!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad link...

"Land use is a touchy subject for snow and off-road dealers, often spurring an us-against-them mentality for most parties involved in the heated debate. But Mark Menlove, executive director of the Winter Wildlands Alliance, argues that digging deeper into the debate will reveal that us-against-them isn’t the case."

"Certainly a part of our mission is to work for balance between opportunities for non-motorized and motorized winter activities, but to say we're trying to eliminate snowmobiles is simply not true. The fact is, many of our members ride snowmobiles. I have hundreds of hours on a sled. ""The way I see it, snowmobilers and skiers have plenty of common ground and we ought to be able to use that common ground to find solutions to winter recreation issues."

Here is the full transcript of the conversation with Menlove regarding the WWA and its work.: www.winterwildlands.org/news/archive/WWA's Mark Menlove Addresses Snowmobile Dealers.pdf

And, as Brendon previously stated, this is a local event to support the local Avalanche Rescue K9's, and local businesses. Motor Toys is even participating in this event! We all use our sleds to get to the awesome pow, so lets celebrate what Mother Nature has bestowed upon us with powder films, prizes, and live music!

If you go to their "About" page on the website, they have this to say about snowmobiles:

"We believe winter wildland adventurers and future generations should have sizable areas of public land on which to experience the natural sights, sounds, and winter beauty of public lands free of motorized vehicles, and that our backcountry wildlife habitat should be protected from the negative impacts of motorized intrusion such as snowmobiles. We also believe it is the mandate of federal land-management agencies to responsibly manage motorized access to these cherished assets to ensure their protection for future generations. "

Sorry I wont be attending because of the association with the WWA. Otherwise I would love to see the films and chat it up with fellow backcountry enthusiasts.

I don't care if you ride, ski, hike, fly, what ever...if I see you in the backcountry I will wave and consider you my friend until you act otherwise.
But most importantly I will never associate myself with any organization that believes they have the right to tell others that they should not have access to public land.

.............."The way I see it, snowmobilers and skiers have plenty of common ground and we ought to be able to use that common ground to find solutions to winter recreation issues.".....................

I am in total agreement with that statement. Working together we can all co-exist and enjoy the sports we all love.

But, if you are going to hold a event like this and want/expect skiers & snowmobilers to attend in numbers to support your cause. You need to have neutral sponsors........ sled shops, ski shops, local businesses, etc..........not a inflammatory, one sided sponsor committed to taking away snowmobile riding areas thru lies and misinformation.

I don't fly Frontier Airlines anymore because of who the sponsor/fund. I pay more for my tickets with other airlines, but I know where my money isn't going.
I don't shop REI for the same reason.

Alpental S&R is a great cause, I'll contact them directly and make a donation to show my support.

Last edited:
We have several local businesses including Motor Toys in Cle Elum donating raffle items. No one sided sponsors here :) So far we have a snowboard from Board Insiders, A helmet or gloves from Motor Toys, Budweiser is bringing a bunch of stuff, and we are working out details with several other local businesses for raffle prizes as well.

I would hope that the sled community would be more open to the idea of raising funds for a good cause, but it seems you guys just can't get passed the very small involvement with the WWA, which is tough for us since none of this events proceeds go to that foundation. We are simply showing the festival that they put together for people and non-profits to raise money. We are members of the local WSSA club and spoke at their meeting this weekend. The club was very supportive and we are looking further to find more sled type donations for the raffle.

I'm not speaking for the WWA here, but we have been speaking with them quite often, and as said above, a lot of their leading members are sledders. I don't know enough about everything that they have done in the past so I cannot comment much on if peoples ideas on them are right or not, but from the small amount of reading I have done, I don't see anything that is super our of line. However, I do see, based on their mission statement how it would be very easy to not like them, perhaps that needs some addressing on their end! I don't want to turn this thread into a WWA discussion, lets save that for meetings and other threads. I just want to try and clear the air a little and get more sled folks out to this event!!

Sorry for the novel, but we are trying to make a good sized donation to the Alpental Bark Program so that they can continue doing an awesome job promoting backcountry safety (something we ALL can appreciate) and having some of the best rescue dogs around!!

Sorry I wont be attending because of the association with the WWA. Otherwise I would love to see the films and chat it up with fellow backcountry enthusiasts.

I don't care if you ride, ski, hike, fly, what ever...if I see you in the backcountry I will wave and consider you my friend until you act otherwise.
But most importantly I will never associate myself with any organization that believes they have the right to tell others that they should not have access to public land.

Well Said!

Premium Features

Back