• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Averted Death in Avy On Grand Mesa - Winterfreak, Keithcat, and Justin

W
Keithcat, Winterfreak, and Keithcats 14yo neophew escaped a little shaken but alive while riding the SP trail when a 6 ft wall of snow burried Keithcats 14yo newphew.

Wintefreak did see the avalanche happen due to the heavy snow and rode directly over Justin (14yo) digging a trench right over the sled snapping the Nytro Turbos handlebars off and causing a breathing hole for Justin. Justin unburried himself and Ketihcat stopped before running over his nephew.

Winterfreak (Ed) continued on down the trail thinking the fresh track was Justin and stopped about 300ft after the avy and waited for Keith. Nobody came. The snow was so deep on the trail, I walked 300ft around the corner in the trees to see Keith and Justin probing and shoveling for me.

I have a full HD helmet cam of the burried sled that took us 2 hours to get out. The sled was down about 6ft.

Everyone is ok. While emotions back at the Thunder Mountain Lodge were a little high, Mark and the few cabin guests assisted in the sled recovery and brought warm clothes for Justin. Winterfreak went back for help to the Lodge and 7 of us returned to help.

Guys and Gals the snow is SUPER DEEP. No hill is safe and the only good sled is a turbo with a 163 to even get across the lake.

Were safe and sound eating Billys wonderful dinner.

I want to thank Mark, Billy, Marks Girlfriend, the guests who helped and everyone who made Justin and all of us a little more like family when we got back to the lodge.

It could have been a lot worse, yet we escaped alive. From what I hear, someone did lose their life today in a Avy on the Western Slope.

Last edited:

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I heard it was deep and sure glad to hear everyone is OK. Be safe and have fun.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
wow, peeps were talking about this in the VC lot...didnt realize it was you. Glad to hear everyone is ok, do ya need help getting that sled out.

No kidding matter up there...I recommend people wait 24-72 before venturing out...climbing will not be safe for quite a while.

These were shot, 200yards east of VC..easy 55" of champagne.

P1020226.jpg

P1020230.jpg

P1020214.jpg

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Yes glad everyone is okay, this just shows how easily it can happen. Looks to be a great season forming, lets all use our heads and be safe out there!

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
WOW!!! Glad to hear all are in good condition and nobody hurt, I hope things are good when we get there next week.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Powderpatrol-nice pics-good to hear the young guy is alright-just goes to show that even on trail rides you should have a beacon! WOW!

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Bauer-how far up did you make it? and do think it would be a good day for 92 Phazer? got any Go-pro of the day?-I think we are go up Sat. let me know if you can make.

B
Sep 24, 2008
Western Slope. Colorado
Bauer-how far up did you make it? and do think it would be a good day for 92 Phazer? got any Go-pro of the day?-I think we are go up Sat. let me know if you can make.

Well Phazers can float, but it's deep. We almost made it to Trickle Park Res. The pic was as far as we went. Going to try and make it up tomorrow and Sat and Sun. :face-icon-small-hap

Here is a vid on our way down trying to follow our own tracks. :face-icon-small-sho

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bauerapex?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/Ik1ezDcJQ1U

R

rmkjeff

Jan 16, 2010
watch for falling trees

Also watch for falling trees saw 1 fall 20 feet from tim and I last week must have been 30 feet tall we stopped and heard a crack and down came a tree so watch out!!

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Ed, glad everyone is ok. If the highway opens up we may come up tomorrow for a little while. I guess I will have to bring the TM1200. Snow that deep is just a exercise in attrition. It is tough no matter what sled you have.

Sam

Premium Features