• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Classes, useful links

For those interested in various avalanche classes and other training programs, go to www.naoiak.org. One of av. awareness classes is in REI in Anchorage on 11/6 and in the Valley on 11/13th. On 11/14-15th there will be a Field course for all backcountry travelers.
I am not associated with NAOI, Iam only posting this for those of you who have been asking me about avalanche training.
Other good links are:
www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/glacier/snow.html (Chugach av. info)

www.kmbq.com (snow trail and activity report)

http://www.alaskaavalanche.com/Site/Schedule.html

www.avalanche.org

www.survivaltraining.com

Have fun out there and be safe!

Don't know, we are not really planning on it.... If you want to do some hands-on training, do the November 14/15 ( I don't even know if it is both days or just one of them), it should be taught be extreme skiing champion Dean Cummings (and yes, he rides snowmachines as well).
We might do some short training beacon searches when we ride, we do it for the practice for us anyway.
For all of you: when you take a break during your ride, go and hide a beacon and then let others to find it. Measure the time it takes, concentrate on the final pinpointing etc. It should not take longer than 5 minutes!
Good luck!

L

LADYREV800

Dec 1, 2007
MT2AK
For all of you: when you take a break during your ride, go and hide a beacon and then let others to find it. Measure the time it takes, concentrate on the final pinpointing etc. It should not take longer than 5 minutes!
Good luck!

Yes^^ back home we used to have everybody chip $5 or so into a pot and whomever found the beacon got the $$. Made things a little more fun and the winner usually bought a round of drinks after riding :)

Premium Features