• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Awareness Class

As a member of BAART (Backcoutry Avalanche Awareness & Response Team) I would like to invite all snow enthusiasts to Avalanche Awareness & Snowmobile Safety Class on October 18th, 2008 from 10-12 am.
It will be in Wasilla High School, FREE of charge for everybody.
This class is made possible due to donations from family & friends of Tyler Beckham, who lost his life on 12/29/2007 in Turnagain Pass in snowmachine accident.
BAART would like to thank you for the funding.
All class participants will have a chance to win beacon, probe & shovel!

R
Nov 26, 2007
If this is the same guys that did the one at the Cook Inlet Aquaculture building in Kenai last year.....make sure to go. GREAT introductory class with some world class avalanche experts. FANTASTIC PROGRAM. If you guys make it down here again, I'll be there.

I have an update on this class: We did not teach on Kenai last year but this class will be good as well. We recommend it for everybody who snowmachines, skis or ventures out to the backcountry. You don't have to sign up for this class, just show up on time, we'd like to start sharp at 10am since there will be so much to talk about!
MYTOYS, how many of your friends are interested?

Well, last year Elmendorf Snowmobile Club requested a class and we sent an instructor up there. Sounds like it was a good class (I heard). We did not hear from them this year though. I also checked websites of other organizations who teach Avalanche Awareness Classes and did not see anything in Fairbanks on their schedule either :( These are the most probable links.
http://www.alaskaavalanche.com
http://www.cnfaic.org/training.php
BAART is a non profit organization and we are all volunteers. So if anybody want to do their part, put together a group of friends in your community and we will try to accommodate your needs.

R
Nov 23, 2001
Sterling, AK
Dash,
I thought you were moving this class to the 25th to accomodate some poor oilfield trash schedules??? ;)

Looks like I'll miss this one, but let us know when there's gonna be another later.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Thanks

Just wanted to say that Mike did an excellent job with the class and it was well worth the time - it was great to meet some new friends (Dash :) ) and fellow riders. I especially want to send out a huge thanks to the Beckham family and the others that make these classes possible.

If you didn't make it to this class or the seminar at the Oxygen and Octane Expo... I highly recommend that you take one of the other classes coming up - even if you have already done one before... refreshers are always good.

Keep it safe and let it snow!!!

Premium Features