• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

av gas

S

sonic

Oct 26, 2008
Medicine Hat
860 rkt 15.1 head my brother in law is an air craft mech. and poilet.he sugget to add oil to the fuel /same mixture each time as theres not alot of lub.in the av. fuel.any info would be great.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Let me address this fallacy that ANY gasoline has more or less LUBE ....

NO gasoline provides any more or less luberication qualitys than another.

LEAD is the only additive in gasoline that is a lubricant, that being said,, ONLY the lead content can be considered.

AVGAS is LOW LEAD,,
pump gas is NO lead
MOST race fuels are higher lead.

In a 2 stroke, the Lead acts ONLY to supress detonation..

adding more oil will LEAN the fuel to air mix and if not jetted up will cause you to deto or go lean..

I don't ean to make anyone sound dumb, Avgas is an excellent easy to use, easy to tune fuel that is NOT a slow burn Low rpm fuel...
It just has been Measured that way by the aircraft industry to show its qualitys for high altitude use..

the higher the altitude you are operating at,, the lower the octane needed for safe operation..

enjoy the savings and smile when someone tells you how avgas is bad,,

tell them your a REBEL !!!!!!!

Gus
burnin avgas for 25 years and loving it !!!

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.

LEAD is the only additive in gasoline that is a lubricant, that being said,, ONLY the lead content can be considered.

AVGAS is LOW LEAD,,
pump gas is NO lead
MOST race fuels are higher lead.

In a 2 stroke, the Lead acts ONLY to supress detonation..

adding more oil will LEAN the fuel to air mix and if not jetted up will cause you to deto or go lean..

I don't ean to make anyone sound dumb, Avgas is an excellent easy to use, easy to tune fuel that is NOT a slow burn Low rpm fuel...
It just has been Measured that way by the aircraft industry to show its qualitys for high altitude use..

the higher the altitude you are operating at,, the lower the octane needed for safe operation..

enjoy the savings and smile when someone tells you how avgas is bad,,

tell them your a REBEL !!!!!!!

Gus
burnin avgas for 25 years and loving it !!!

Gus, I agree to what you stated, although 100LL has more lead in it than most people think. I too have been running avgas for several years now without any problems! I'm a REBEL too....lol

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Octane?

Gus,

If you were to compare the octane of 100LL avgas to automotive gas (race or pump....considering they use the R+M/2 method) where you place it? I have heard, read, researched, etc..........just wondering what your thoughts are?

G
Apr 23, 2008
108 ish maybe slightly more.

it acts like a 105 motor octane fuel , most 105 leaded are 110 ish using the combo average method,
due to the lower lead and higher nitrogen av would be slightly lower,, but without a research number for it i am only guestimating...

motor octane of the shell avgas in my area is 104.

Gus

Jul 22, 2008
This was taken from ty4stroke forum. Notice how the research and motor number of av gas is very close, this indicates a very stable fuel.

Tuesday, 31 January 2006

The following results were compiled by Intertek (fuel testing service)

OBJECTIVE:

To establish the RON (research octane number) and MON (motor octane number)

MON number is a better indication of fuel quality because it is more representative of high rpm, high load, conditions. The closer the RON and MON are the more stable the fuel is.

METHOD:

Use of CFR research engine with variable compression.
All test work carried out to ASTM D2699/D2700 standards.

RESULT:

100LL (Avgas) 100.5 MON and 103.2 RON (101.5 AKI)
91 premium unleaded 86.7 MON and 95.8 RON (91.2 AKI)

75% Avgas + 25% premium unleaded 92.9 MON 101.5 RON (97.2 AKI)
50% Avgas + 50% premium unleaded 91.6 MON 100.3 RON (95.9 AKI)
25% Avgas + 75% premium unleaded 88.5 MON 98.8 RON (93.6 AKI)

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
I run 13:1 cr with pump fuel 88mon 98ron no ethanol
how much higher compression ratio can i run on straight 100ll
14,5:1 ??

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
Best part is my local airport about 5 miles from my house has self service pumps. Just drive right up, swipe your card and pump some 100LL into the sled and some extra cans and off you go.

AVgas here self serve is running $4.37/gal.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
hmmmm?1.45x4.5=$6.53/gal canada owell still cheaper than $75.00 for 5 gal of c-12

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada

With all due respect, Gus, this is not completely true...

The molecular structure of gasoline can vary greatly from one refinery to another, and even seasonally. The basic hydrocarbon molecule can range from C6H16 all the way to C12H24, with the basic isooctane being about the middle at C8H18. The simpler hydrocarbons (smaller lighter compounds) lack the heavy ends to promote much lubrication, especially when compared to the heavier more complex ones.
At the top end of the spectrum is diesel, whose HUGE molecule (C16H34 for the light winter blend) is actually considered to be a light oil!

Anyways, :focus:

Premium Features