• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ATTN Canadians: Legislator wants to BAN Highmarking

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
http://blog.snowgoer.com/2010/05/12/outlaw-snowmobile-high-marking-a-classic-overreaction/

Outlaw Snowmobile High-Marking? A Classic Overreaction

Most self-centered, ethnocentric U.S. Americans (reference to classic video of Miss South Carolina, 2007 ) think that our country has cornered the market on over-reacting, self-important, hot-air blowing politicians. But don’t worry, Canada, we here at Snow Goer (called Snow Sports in the fabulous land of the Maple Leaf, by the way) refuse to believe it. We know that you, too, have self-important, hot-air blowing politicians.

Today’s lesson in international civics? A politician in British Columbia apparently wants to outlaw the practice of snowmobile high-marking in the mountains, to the point where authorities could seize your snowmobile if you were caught high-marking with friends.

That’s right – take a mountain sled up a mountain, and the Mounties or other law enforcement types would have the right to swipe your ride. Does that sound fair to you?

This, of course, comes in wake of the absolutely horrible back-to-back tragedies in the backcountry near Revelstoke this spring, including one avalanche March 13 at the unofficial Big Iron Shootout event where a wall of snow threatened to bury the roughly 200 spectators at the bottom of the hill.

Well, according to a story posted on the CBC News web site, B.C. Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger is proposing legislation that targets high-marking.

“I think that this extremely risk behaviour (sic)… especially if it’s done in an area where other people are put at risk, should be the target of severe sanctions,” Krueger is quoted as saying.

In a different news piece posted on the News1130.com web site, Krueger is said to hope his legislation “will stop the very risky high-marking fad.”

A fad? Mountain high-marking is not a fad, it’s been going on for decades. But let’s set that aside — I wouldn’t expect every suit-and-tie-wearing “public servant” to have inside knowledge of our sport. The larger question is this:

How come every time somebody dies in a car accident, politicians don’t stand up and say, “We must outlaw automobiles, and anybody who is seen driving one will do hard time.” Yet when somebody has a horrible accident happen when recreating, some politicians foam at the mouth and trip over each other while trying to reach a nearest microphone to announce that they will introduce legislation to sanitize our world and make it safe for human habitation again.

Now I don’t know this particular politicians – he may have a good heart and merely be misguided and overprotective. And he certainly isn’t the first politicians (or radio talk show host) to want to use laws to try to somehow magically erase a previous event that truly was an accident.

Yes, an accident — not a malicious act. Every time something bad happens in our world, we don’t necessarily need more laws. And tragedies don’t always have to be turned into an opportunity for a publicity-seeking politician to further his or her career doing whatever they can to attract a bank of microphones and television cameras.

Over-reaction is not the answer.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Yeah we should ban fishing too.:face-icon-small-con
More drunk bastards fall out of tin boats taking a leak during their fisihng outings each year and drown than all sledders combined.:face-icon-small-dis . Not just us "himarkers". lol
Dip**** politicians:face-icon-small-sho
Education not regulation:face-icon-small-hap
RS

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
All this will do is push sledders deeper and farther into the Backcountry where Skandic riding cops cant get to. Be more incidents than there are now. :face-icon-small-fro

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
More drunk bastards fall out of tin boats taking a leak during their fisihng outings each year and drown than all sledders combined.:face-icon-small-dis .

It was only the once and I tripped !! haha

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Unbelieveable....what else is there to say? Idiots, there are just too many in this world, and a lot of them are in politcs. What does that say for the rest of us? LOL

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Bwahahahahaha

More drunk bastards fall out of tin boats taking a leak during their fisihng outings each year and drown than all sledders combined.:face-icon-small-dis . Not just us "himarkers". lol
RS

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Completely unbelieveable!!!! If you don't have to turn out is it called (Highmarking)? LOL. Something else we have to fight to keep, the joy of riding the backcountry.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
The more I think about this the more angry I become, These politicans more than likely lead boring uneventfull lives, and in no way can they understand the joy of riding in the backcountry, nor understand that we knowingly take it upon ourselves, the risk that is involed in riding in these places. I am sure that not one of these people pushing for this has ever endored the country that a snowmobiler has. Because it they had this would not even be an issue, nor a thought. The politicans in this type of position need to stop try to save everyone from things that we enjoy!!! Accidents happen everyday, I could get hit by a bus tommarow. And if I do they should outlaw buses!! LOL

Just my two penny's

K

KrazyCanadian

Jan 9, 2008
Castlegar BC
RS

Well said Randy,, wow , what is the world coming to????????? I think it's too dangerous to go to work also.... how many people die every day working or travelling to and from work....??????

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
??

So isnt Tourism Minister Kevin Kruegers job is to enocourage tourism?? I wouldnt have a reason to ride in B.C. if I couldnt Highmark or climb hills!!and Im sure many other sledders feel the same, we dont go there for the trails!!...

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LOL Swenson!!

Better ban driving on icey and snowey roads then.

Premium Features