• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault RKK overheating help

A
Dec 17, 2009
I'm riding a 2010 Assault with the competition track and I'm having overheating issues. My personal opinion is that this sled isn't made for trail riding but this is the majority of it. When I'm on very hard packed trails or bare conditions my sled overheats. I met a guy with an assault that added the heat exchanger from an 08 or 09 switchback which solved his problems. Does anyone have any insight on trying this overheating procedure?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Do you run scratchers ??

Checked the coolarnt level?

Replaced the thermostat? (they are faulty sometimes)

OR...

This...

Curt can make them in any length you want.

FYI:

After a bit of brainstorming with Curt at FTX... HOT OFF THE PRESS!

FasTrax Motorsports has a new, add on cooler for the RMK RAW chassis (RMK's from 2007 thru 2009).

This will be just the ticket for your cooling needs on those Big Bore 840/860's and Turbo sleds... or if you run a lot in spring conditions and are concerned with overheating.

Especially helpful in light of the fact that the Dragons have the front-tunnel heat exchanger deleted..

This cooler will mount between the STOCK tunnel u-coolers in the Raw chassis.

The one shown is 16" and can be installed with the track and suspension mounted in the sled... piece of cake.

They can be ordered in any length up to the full length of the stock cooler.

Prices to be announced at the show.

See em at the Puyallup Washington State Snowmobile Association Expo and Swapmeet.

1-14.jpg

2-12.jpg

3-11.jpg

4-5.jpg

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I'm riding a 2010 Assault with the competition track and I'm having overheating issues. My personal opinion is that this sled isn't made for trail riding but this is the majority of it. When I'm on very hard packed trails or bare conditions my sled overheats. I met a guy with an assault that added the heat exchanger from an 08 or 09 switchback which solved his problems. Does anyone have any insight on trying this overheating procedure?

so your riding on hard pack and bare conditions. how do you expect for it to cool no snow on coolers no cooling. it doesn't matter what watercooled sled you ride it will over heat in those conditions

L
Mar 17, 2010
A Rocky Mtn King is for deep snow. My understanding is that people have blown up RMKs for years because of the situation you are speaking off. They used to make an after mrkt radiator kit for the older ones. Also If there is a place to pack snow over the heat exchangers like on the running boards or if there is a rear heat exchanger to pack snow above that. Where I live in the NE a RMK is a second sled for deep snow in northern Maine off trail or the potato fields on good snow years. My friends Yamaha 4 stroke we pack his running boards and picked it for more cooling and works well cuz it overheats at 0 degrees when the trails are all frozen. Made all the differance and it is well broken in but thats just a 136 track. Last season he was very happy with the differance. No snow no cool
Lou

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
water wetter and scratchers! Works like a dream! My 900 used to overheat everytime i took it out riding on trails. Like mountainhorse said make sure there are no air bubbles in the cooling system!

Premium Features