• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO S - Seat height

C
Apr 22, 2019
I just installed my shortened rear shocks...and the ARO S front spindle assembly onto my 2020 ktm 500 xcf-w.
It has the Seat Concepts short seat on it as well as I am vertically challenged (5-6") with a 27" inseam.
I installed .64 fork springs, and had the forks re-valved for the stiffer springs.
The forks are currently installed to the second line on the forks in the triple clamps.
The TSS is set to the recommended fixed strut length...not the recommended TSS length. (I liked it better this way last year)

My seat height at the lowest point is 35.5 inches...with the bike sitting on the shop floor.

Please give me some of your seat height measurements for comparison.
I forgot to measure the bike at the end of last year for a base line.

P.S. From my measurements...the S front strut is 2.5 inches shorter, and the skid is 2.5 inches shorter with the shortened shocks installed.
PPS. I had my stock shocks shortened to the length that comes on the S kits.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Chris, my 18 ktm with 16 120 yeti (seat concepts wide regular height, might be 1/4" taller than stock) measuring high point of seat at about 37.5 - 38" . I can raise this slightly with more air in front fox shock. On this kit I have it as far forward as it will go in the slider, I was able to take a link out of chain from stock. Moving forward increases height given angle of strut. I have shorten the solid strut by about 1/4" and run in shortest adjustment that allowed me to connect chain. Even though I have 33" inseam I much prefer the shorter setup that generally results in less ski pressure and easier handling in my experience.

On my 17fx yami I have a 17 120 mototrax. I moved it forward about 3/8" from all the way forward stock position, shorten solid strut rod and shorten chain. It has seat concepts which I think was same height as stock. Highest point on seat about 37/37.5" . I don't run much preload on the shock spring so this is probably a fraction lower than would be with additional preload.
Hope this helps.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I just installed my shortened rear shocks...and the ARO S front spindle assembly onto my 2020 ktm 500 xcf-w.
It has the Seat Concepts short seat on it as well as I am vertically challenged (5-6") with a 27" inseam.
I installed .64 fork springs, and had the forks re-valved for the stiffer springs.
The forks are currently installed to the second line on the forks in the triple clamps.
The TSS is set to the recommended fixed strut length...not the recommended TSS length. (I liked it better this way last year)

My seat height at the lowest point is 35.5 inches...with the bike sitting on the shop floor.

Please give me some of your seat height measurements for comparison.
I forgot to measure the bike at the end of last year for a base line.

P.S. From my measurements...the S front strut is 2.5 inches shorter, and the skid is 2.5 inches shorter with the shortened shocks installed.
PPS. I had my stock shocks shortened to the length that comes on the S kits.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

How much did you shorten your over all shock length and how many inches did that shorten your kit ?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
2018 KTM 450Sxf with 2020 Riot S. Seat height at highest point is 36.5”. Have seat concepts comfort seat.

C
Apr 22, 2019
Interesting update:

I am now the proud owner of a ARO 3s.

I just purchased a demo 2020 ARO 3 kit for my bike...which has a 3" paddle as opposed to the 2019 ARO 137 which has a 2.5" paddle...I know that the ARO 3 has a lowered track driver (which all of the 20-21 ARO's do), but was surprised when I installed my shortened shocks on the ARO 3, and installed it on my bike...that the bike seat height was the same as it was with the 2.5" track on the 137. Same 35.5" seat height. I remember seeing a video about the ARO 3 saying that they had reduced the height of the ARO 3 kit to accommodate for the taller track, and am now wondering if all the 20-21 kits are lower than previous years of the ARO platform. Anyone have info on this?

I will be lowering the forks in the triple clamps to get the skid to sit more flat on the ground...With the forks in the current position...the rear of the track is aprox. 3/8" off the ground. Definitely looking forward to some snow testing with this setup.

ChrisARO 3.jpg

Last edited:

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
Interesting update:

I am now the proud owner of a ARO 3s.

I just purchased a demo 2020 ARO 3 kit for my bike...which has a 3" paddle as opposed to the 2019 ARO 137 which has a 2.5" paddle...I know that the ARO 3 has a lowered track driver (which all of the 20-21 ARO's do), but was surprised when I installed my shortened shocks on the ARO 3, and installed it on my bike...that the bike seat height was the same as it was with the 2.5" track on the 137. Same 35.5" seat height. I remember seeing a video about the ARO 3 saying that they had reduced the height of the ARO 3 kit to accommodate for the taller track, and am now wondering if all the 20-21 kits are lower than previous years of the ARO platform. Anyone have info on this?

I will be lowering the forks in the triple clamps to get the skid to sit more flat on the ground...With the forks in the current position...the rear of the track is aprox. 3/8" off the ground. Definitely looking forward to some snow testing with this setup.

ChrisView attachment 361128
by how much did you shortened the shock ? what was the thinkness of the spacer installed in the shock ?

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
I just checked the length of the shortened shocks...and they are just over 1" shorter than the stock ones.

Chris
Thank Chris , i am also 5'6" tall with 29 inseem so I got my riot shock shortened by 5/8 " and it result into a 36 3/4 seat height so to get the same as the S I would have to go for another 1/2" shorther

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
SO I just went and bought the timbersled lowering kit. Comes with two shocks/springs and the spindle. The question I have is, the shocks are the same length, ( stock they are too ) and same spring..? The stock shock springs for my aro 137 kit comes with a 150 lb. front spring and a 175 lb. rear spring. I do not know what these new shocks with springs are rated at. The instructions do not differentiate which shock is the front or rear... the part number on the new shocks are P/N 7045337 89055A0020 They don't show a brand name on them. As said earlier in this thread, they appear to be 12" center eye to center eye.
Anyone else install one of these kits?

C
Apr 22, 2019
SO I just went and bought the timbersled lowering kit. Comes with two shocks/springs and the spindle. The question I have is, the shocks are the same length, ( stock they are too ) and same spring..? The stock shock springs for my aro 137 kit comes with a 150 lb. front spring and a 175 lb. rear spring. I do not know what these new shocks with springs are rated at. The instructions do not differentiate which shock is the front or rear... the part number on the new shocks are P/N 7045337 89055A0020 They don't show a brand name on them. As said earlier in this thread, they appear to be 12" center eye to center eye.
Anyone else install one of these kits?
As on all of the ARO kits...the shocks are the same both front and rear...and on most of those kits the spring rates are different front to rear...with a heavier rate on the rear.

On the S kit bikes...they come with 250# springs both front and rear to account for the falling rate suspension. I would recommend starting out with 1/4" preload on the front shock, and 1/2" of preload on the rear. That is how they are set on the ARO 129s track kits.

I don't know who makes the shocks.

Chris

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
When you state 1/4" preload on the front shock and 1/2" preload on the rear, is that from the starting point of how the shocks came in the box? As the preload they come with appears to be right in the middle of the adjustable threads... I dont know if I'm explaining what I'm seeing very well, sorry for that.

When you state 1/4" preload on the front shock and 1/2" preload on the rear, is that from the starting point of how the shocks came in the box? As the preload they come with appears to be right in the middle of the adjustable threads... I dont know if I'm explaining what I'm seeing very well, sorry for that.

Pre-load settings are measured based on the length of the spring. So if you have an 8" spring and want 1/2" of preload, tighten it down until the spring measures 7.5".

C
Apr 22, 2019
Exactly correct.

I believe the springs provided for the S kits are 7 inches long.

You should loosen the adjustment collar until it is loose (just barely touching the spring). This is considered zero preload. Measure the spring at this point. Then tighten the collar down the amount of preload you desire. This is done either on the bench... Or with no weight on the shocks.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features