• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know how to get a sunk sled?

S

snow_freak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
Wasilla
so heres the deal, got a cheap sled, slapped a top end in it and took it on wasilla lake the same day. mayden voyage for me and the sled, got cocky trying to turn and sunk it. close to shore got it back out (thanks stewert aka akrev151) then got it running and well tried again, this time belt got wet and she went down, dam near in the center of the lake.

soooo, i have 60ft of tow rope with a bouy, well i secured the line a little too good to the tunnel and only about 5-10 feet came up (for what i could see as it was going down)

so the lake is about 40 feet deep in the center from dropping an anchore down. well i welded up a bar that has 4 triangles sticking out so that if it hits the line the bouy will get caught at the base of the triangles and hopefully pull out the line.

well if anybody else have delt with a sunk sled or whatever let me know, any help will help thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVAsbf63rJU

Reactions: LiveAlaska
A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
LMFAO!! Great footage. Sorry about your sled man. Hasnt it been out there all week now?

Here you go...custom avatar. haha
aaron1.jpg

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You either do what you are trying and hoping to get lucky, or try to find someone with diving gear that is willing to go down for it. I know of 3 sleds here that went down in the winter in 30 on up 100+ feet of water that had to have divers go down and hook up to them. Make sure to get that thing running as soon as you get it out of there! Run it long enough to get the motor good and warm to get things dried out and lubed back up again. It won't start rusting until you get it out of the water, but then things start rusting in a hurry. Go through all you suspension joints with a grease gun as well. Driveshaft,jackshaft bearings ect...

Good luck!

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
If you dive for it do what we call a radial pattern. Drop an anchor line where you think it is then have the diver clip onto that line. The diver searches in circles on his line letting out 10' or so with each 360* pass depending on visibility. His circles get bigger and bigger as he lets out the line. Most common pleasure boat GPS systems will do a good enough job of marking the anchor line way point so you wont overlap too much.

You should see/small a little sign of fuel on the surface as it will come up for days in small bubbles depending on how much you had left. You can raise it with a divers lift bag or even a simple inner tube if the diver has a hose/chuck plumbed into his second stage.

Good luck. EW

M
Nov 27, 2007
You can drag a anchor or big home made hook and possibly cetch the trailing arm or bumper, we hooked a vent on the hood once and pulled it up that way. By dragging I mean by a rope and troll over it where you think it is.

S

snow_freak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
Wasilla
ya ive been draging with my homemade hook and trolled around for awile after she sunk but could not find any trails of gas. maybe ill get some scuba equipment off ebay or something. or find someone that can dive for a couple cases of beer.

Premium Features