• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody running the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials on their trucks?

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
I am running Toyo 12.50x35x20 MT's on my truck and is time to replace them. I really like the appearance and durability of this tire but am not real impressed with them in the winter. I am considering the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ as a replacement. I have read some articles and see they are a fairly good tire on slick roads compared to the Toyo's. I realize I have one very big negative working against me and that is the width of the tire but have no intentions of changing the size. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
They're crap on snow and ice. I had to drive a loaner work truck for a week last spring and some jackass put those on it before he turned it in.

They'd be good if all you ever did was drive on pavement, sand or dirt, but thats about it.

Just because the tread looks neato and swell doesn't mean the tire is worth a damn.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks Dogmeat that pretty much sums it up for me. I will go ahead and shell out the 1900.00 and have them throw in the siping. I had my last set of MT's siped and it made a huge difference.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Im on my 2nd set of MT on my ram 2500 luv em. What didn't your like about the MT's? What is siping?

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
My dislike was they were not the best on slick roads. I realize the biggest problem there is the width of the tire. Siping is when they make small slices across the tire that gives the tire better traction on wet and icy roads. It is not recommended if you do alot of off roading cause they could possibly chunk. My truck does not go off the road only to unload the sleds, yes it is a "Pavement Pounder". Some tire outfits say it shortens the life of the tire but I strongly disagree, my experince is that it extends the life of the tire. Siping also helps to cool the tire in the heat of the summer.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
My dislike was they were not the best on slick roads. I realize the biggest problem there is the width of the tire. Siping is when they make small slices across the tire that gives the tire better traction on wet and icy roads. It is not recommended if you do alot of off roading cause they could possibly chunk. My truck does not go off the road only to unload the sleds, yes it is a "Pavement Pounder". Some tire outfits say it shortens the life of the tire but I strongly disagree, my experince is that it extends the life of the tire. Siping also helps to cool the tire in the heat of the summer.

Cool Thanks. I found my MT to be great, I also ride mostly in the city. I wish they would last a bit longer, I get about 80K. But hey they look way cool.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
Just bit the bullet, stuck with the Toyo MT's with siping. Ouch 1900.00 later.

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
I ran the ATZ once and they sucked. They were all over the road and I hated them compared to my Toyo MTs. Glad to hear another happy Toyo customer. I sell more TOYO MTs than any other tire and yes the siping does help a ton on the roads when they are icy. Even if you do go off road I normally only sipe about half tread then re-sipe them again once thats worn off. It helps them not to flex and chuck out if you go off-road a lot or have a high HP truck. Also they can sipe them at an angle like semi tires and that helps a lot too.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
What tire pressure are your guys running? Or what is the best pressure or the MT's Mine are on my 06 Ram 2500 Mega cab w/cummins.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i honestly have no complaints about my ATZs. this is the most aggressive tire i have had one a newer pickup. my last 3 sets of tires have been pro comp at's, bfg at's, and nitto terra grapplers. i would say the nitto's and the ATZs have been the best in the winter. i actually have two sets of them.. my summer wheels have 33x12.5x20s on them and the winter wheels have 33x11.5x17s on them.

my 1st winter with the pickup i ran the 33x12.5s. it was no worse than any other wide AT tire i have ran. so when i got the 17s for the winter, i got the same tire because i really liked them "in general". i have no regrets. i did order a little narrower tire for the winter and it does definitely help on the ice...

DSC00994.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

DSCN3772.jpg

DSCN3782.jpg

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
my co worker has the mtz's on his cummins... terrible wear life even with rotating every 5000 miles and setting tire pressure once a month.

i have 43K on my 33x12.5x20s and they are on their last leg. it is not a heavy diesel pickup, but i do tow a 9K lb camper throughout the spring, summer, and fall. there are only about 8K miles on my winter set and the still look brand new

Premium Features