• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

any Ideas on getting an old sled going??

S
Jan 31, 2008
peters creek AK
I have an old 71 or 72 Jc penny manhandler, inherited it with my propery. It has a 399 hirth twin. been outside for awhile and looks like it. but the top of the pistons and cylinders look new. the exhaust was gone from the y pipe and muffler. I got it running with a 18" straight pipe. I cleaned the carb out It will start and run but I can't seem to get it to idle, it seems like it is getting too much gas as it spits it out the carb as I give it throttle but if I turn down the fuel screw it dies and get to where it just revs out of control with any throttle( guessing too lean.) do I just have to keep messing with the throttle? will having the muffler on make a diff?

just got messing with it today, I would love to restore it but want to get it running before I mess with it. the name alone is classic, there is a spot for an elec start and the ignition has a start position! Thinking it might be a fun sled as there was a pile of shredded belts under the tank!:D

thanks for any help

JC_PENNEY_6A.jpg

Z
Dec 1, 2007
minnienosnowda
Manhandler

Just thought I say, I remember that sled well, my cousin's had one of them. I will have to ask at the next get together if it still in the shed for you.

Restore it it sledding history

S
Jan 31, 2008
peters creek AK
every thing seems in well but worn shape. If I can get it to where I can run it reliable I think I will strip it and do a full restore cause its all here!compression is above 130. couldn't imagine a sweet purple sled with 24 hp of buisness!!LOL:D track is in real good condition, I can't belive the shape considering it was out back for at least 3 years. has the state tags from 76!! go MANHANDLER go!

jims68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
bismarck, nd
Put a carb kit in it and get the Gross jet for that model of carb also. The Gross jet replaces the needle and seat which besides ripped or bad diaphrams is the second greatest failure in the diaphram carbs. Also check if it has points clean and gap them.

Premium Features