• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Crank Run-out Question

I have read often that the 2002 Edge xc 800 sleds had serious crank issues. I happened to have one with 5000 miles on it. I have not checked the run-out on it yet this year. I am planning on doing so after the season is done. My question is what do I do if the run-out is too much? The other question is if it isnt bad, should I still take the crank case out and have someone beef up the bearings and/or rebuild it?

If i need to get some work done on it, does anyone know of a good shop to take it to in and/or near SE Michigan? I will most likely have it done.

Thanks,

Ethan

The safe max is about .004" inch or so......I've ran mine up to .007 with a close eye and balanced clutch. Since replaced it and I'm under .001"......Check you dial indicator closely....Someone gave me one that measures in "mm". I scared myself when I thought it was about .020"; but really reading in mm.

If you're under spec. - Balance the clutch, check motor mounts/torque stop and run it....If over, send to IndyDan for a 1st class job. Cheaper but good in your area is Northern Crankshaft........

I sent mine to SLP, They did a great job and it was less than I expected.
put a tuff boy (I think)bearing kit on when I got the new crank.

Mine was at 06 with about 2800 miles.

Premium Features

Back