• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

another black eye for boxing

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
It's likely you can't even name the publically recognized heavy weight champion of the world......I cant. Of course there are about 75 of them spread over 93 different un-organized organizations.

So the sport is reduced to pay per view only and the local bars dont even cover it any more. Thier very biggest events often turn out to be a circus and last night in Las Vegas was another complete embarassment. On a positive note, the guy who handled it the best is the guy who got ripped.

Terrible. Just terrible. Even the guy who won though he lost.

I cant figure out what has fallen further......boxing or IndyCar.

The reason I am so bummed is because I grew up on and still love both sports. Every once in a while I YouTube Duran/Leonard I in Montreal and Hagler/Hearns in Vegas just to bring back the good ol' days. Where's my rockem sockem robots.

Here's the Hagler/Hearns memory for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mILPqwesNE&feature=related

The reason the Hagler/Hearns fight so was so memorable for me was because in 83/84 and 84/85 I became close friends with the custodian in my Bschool dorm at Syracuse. He and I would talk sports all afternoon long and he and I were both boxing fans. For this fight he invited me over to his house to join he and his family for dinner and then watch the fight. As good as the fight was it was his display of friendship by he and his family that i will never forget and made the evening so memorable.

The reason the Duran/Leonard fight was so memorable for me was because I watched it with my Dad on "closed circuit TV" in the old New Haven Coliseam. We went down on the spur of the momment and ended up with great seats in like Row 3. You had hispanics and african americans in close proximity and my Dad and me in the middle.....real exciting to say the least. Dad and I also did Ali/Frazier I on closed circuit TV at the Hamden HS auditorium......also another great boxing moment for me. Here's the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwxhqOpA1M

Here's another absolute classic with Leonard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanRHyRyXLk&feature=related

but my favorite fighter of all time is Roberto Duran...here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HveoLcfbGy8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3FaDQMB98

HE WAS THE BEST!!

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
thats a chitty deal for pacman he is one of the true sportsmen in his game and doesnt deserve to have his hard record tarnished by bad judges. on the other hand I feel sorry for bailey in the rematch you gotta know manny will be pissed and ready to prove what everyone already knows.

I really hope someday pacman gets the opportunity to beat mayweather Jr to death.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
ya think ? I speculate that that will be mayweathers comeback fight that way when manny beats his azz they can say he was rusty and schedule a rematch. winner fights bailey. Its about $ cant think of a better way to squeeze the last dollar out of that scenario.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
After last night id say that was a new low point in the slow painful death of what once was a great sport.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Somehow or other I started watching MMA when the very first UFC happened .. .up to that point and for several years after, myself and all my buddies were still boxing fans, but we also had another girlfriend on the side... and as MMA evolved and grew, it quickly eclipsed ANYTHING boxing could do for all of us. . nowadays I see all the commercials for the next great boxing feud and can't help thinking how one dimensional boxing is compared to the multifaceted world of MMA. . ... .. in other words. . .it's boring as heck ..

. .sorry, Go High, didn't mean to hijack yer thread with this but it's what always comes to mind when I hear someone talk about anything to do with boxing as an individual sport. .

..and there's a reason it's a dying sport and ya have limited viewing choices. ..

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
The sport of boxing just needs to be torn down, rebuilt and streamlined so to speak. There are too many organizations and WAY too many weight classes (3-4 lb differences between the lower classes, really....). If the titles weren't unified, there could be 90+ different title holders between 6 organizations (if you count the ring magazine belts).

MMA is doing it right. Basically 2-3 main organizations (UFC/Strikeforce, Bellator, and M-1 Global). 7-9 weight classes with 15 lb jumps between classes (although I would love to see everyone consolidate the 135 and 145 into a 140 lb class).

Premium Features