• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Amabilis Mountain - proposed closure near Snoqualmie?

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
So is this being closed for the sake of skiers and snowshoers? Not a big deal if snowmobiles don't use the area, but seems like a strange move by the USFS.... Why are they trying to sneak a recreational closure into a 'rehabilitation plan'.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Unbelievable....and removing the boat launch as well. I looked through the plan 2 times and couldn't tell the exact area.

It is amazing the extremeness of the left wing's actions in the different Federal agencies going on right now.

The Omama admin's in the Federal Fisheries decisions being made right now is absolutely criminal.

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
Hey guys,
Ya Nobody rides there really, I have rode on the south-east side of that mountain coming from Easton with some friends that actually owned part of that hill, don't know if they still do or not it was a few years ago. but not a great place to ride.

Last edited:
N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
i do alot of riding in the Easton area, grew up there ,no one rides that area. let the skiers and snowshoers have it. maybe it will keep them off of our trails.

Thanks, guys. That's what I wanted to know. Still seems strange that the USFS is slipping a change like this into a rehabilitation plan. :face-icon-small-con

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does anyone know where this is? The closure is in the USFS 'Upper Yakima Restoration Project', with a link below. It's at the very end of this document. There is absolutely no mention of why it needs to be closed to snowmobiles. Just curious if anyone can identify where it is, and if we're losing more rideable terrain.
http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/56822_FSPLT2_055392.pdf

I'm still confused where the area is?

While I understand it may not be that suitable for snowmobiles, what about for quads, ATV's, dirtbikes, mountainbikes, etc?

Just remember when you let them have it, the area given seems to always increase over time.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Its right behind my cabin. Exit 70 left over I90 left on sparks rd and then all the way down. Big bummer for me. I ride there all the time. Its a smaller area but once you get to know it theres some killer technical riding up there. Its also 5000ft on top and its a quick ascent up. The views are spectacular. You get Lk Kachess looking east and I90 looking towards cle elum, cabin creek. Its a bigger loss than most realize.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Does anyone know where this is? The closure is in the USFS 'Upper Yakima Restoration Project', with a link below. It's at the very end of this document. There is absolutely no mention of why it needs to be closed to snowmobiles. Just curious if anyone can identify where it is, and if we're losing more rideable terrain.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/56822_FSPLT2_055392.pdf

Another way to understand where it is. After you pass exit 70 heading west bound I90 going up the easton hill look straight ahead and to the right. That big mt is Amabilis.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Its right behind my cabin. Exit 70 left over I90 left on sparks rd and then all the way down. Big bummer for me. I ride there all the time. Its a smaller area but once you get to know it theres some killer technical riding up there. Its also 5000ft on top and its a quick ascent up. The views are spectacular. You get Lk Kachess looking east and I90 looking towards cle elum, cabin creek. Its a bigger loss than most realize.

Thanks, I know the area well just not the names. That's how I feel also. It's not ridden by many because it's tech and not a main groomed trail.

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt some of the land associated with stampeede pass included in this resotration?

also, half of the gold creek (hyak side) is also included. essentially everything west of the raido tower toward kecheelus.

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...ai.com/11558/www/nepa/56822_FSPLT2_055392.pdf

page 23 outlines the boundary of the yakima watershed, and proposed action. so it appears as though at some pont gold creek could be affected with new changes ??

page 12 has "red" dots that show "proposed" restoration sites. 13 sites are apart of the riding area at gold creek (hyak side). dozens more are on the stampeede side.

it looks like this initial phase has to do with cabin creek, but it also outlines some changes to gold creek - where theyre going to be chaning some things where the snow shoers park, but they will at some point be replacing that bridge (page 20).

page 23 shows a map, but you cant make out the legend for porposed new snow routes.

page 24 has the most important impact on US...

Existing winter trails will be restored to: 1) require woody debris/vegetation on all winter trails, 2) include proper drainage to meet ACS requirements, and 3) to prevent invasive plants and restore native plant communities adjacent on trails, slopes and parking areas. To reduce road densities and management costs, many roads in the watershed are proposed for decommissioning. Many of these roads are proposed as winter routes (Figure 8). These roads cannot be converted to winter trails unless the impacts on the watershed, wildlife, and risk of invasive plants can be minimized. The following is necessary mitigation for all new and existing winter trails:

Scattering woody debris up to 12" diameter across the surface of the trail,
o Grooming width will be limited to the road, no ditchlines will be groomed,
o Coarse wood debris will be kept on the trail at all times.
No vehicles may use the route, except an occasional back-hoe needed to clear culverts,
o Recreation assumes all responsibility to maintain the route (clean culverts, construct and repair trail bridges, invasive plants, etc.).
o Recreation will provide a yearly monitoring report of maintenance activities.
o If maintenance and monitoring reporting requirements are not met, the winter route will be decommissioned.

based off this, it appears to me they're putting the responsiblity of trail maintenance, watershed maintenance on US the sledders! (if thats what they mean by "recreation"; not sure if thats "parks and recreation" either) if we dont clean the culverts and what not, the way i read it, they WILL close winter routes.

hopefully im wrong, but thats the way im reading this. someone chime in!

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington

Then we better get on the phone and submit comments. I can see zero explanation for why they are changing the use, or what it has to do with restoration.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Hey Mid,
I don't KNOW, but I surmise that recreation does not mean us (sledders), USFS can't impart thier responsibility onto individuals. They may press for a club or organization to adopt an area, but at the end of the day they are still responsible.
Also, my read of the document means that debris must be scattered on the trail during NON SNOW TIMES, to keep those nasty 4wheelers at bay.

Again, this is my interpritation. Thanks for digging this up.

Bag

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
This was mentioned a few times last year at Groomer meetings by Tim Foss. He indicated it was mostly privately owned and not used much by sledders....A few in attendance from Easton said they had permission to ride there from the land owner.

It was never mentioned it would be formally closed....that's my recollection.

Premium Features