• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternatives to Togwotee?

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
It’s been almost 10 yrs since my group and I have been out west. We are coming back this coming winter, we’ve always done a week at Togwotee for the ease and simplicity since we fly in and rent. However looking at pricing from this past winter there was more sticker shock than we already expected.

Just looking for some other options that kinda have an all inclusive type package similar to Tog and we can ride from right out the door without renting a vehicle/trailer. If it matters we’d probably be out early to mid February.

We enjoy the terrain around Tog and if we end up somewhere else would like it to be similar. Limited research so far has yielded west Yellowstone/island park, beaver creek in N. Utah and perhaps rocking M in Alpine. One of the guys has a family member that lives and works at a place in steamboat springs.

Would love any suggestions. Thanks

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
Steamboat Lake Outpost has cabins and Polaris rental sleds. West Yellowstone has several rental places and a bunch of lodging options. I haven't ridden Togwotee area yet but have enjoyed Steamboat and West. I'd probably recommend West as the better option. More rental and lodging available. I also enjoyed having places to get a hot meal while out riding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It’s been almost 10 yrs since my group and I have been out west. We are coming back this coming winter, we’ve always done a week at Togwotee for the ease and simplicity since we fly in and rent. However looking at pricing from this past winter there was more sticker shock than we already expected.

Just looking for some other options that kinda have an all inclusive type package similar to Tog and we can ride from right out the door without renting a vehicle/trailer. If it matters we’d probably be out early to mid February.

We enjoy the terrain around Tog and if we end up somewhere else would like it to be similar. Limited research so far has yielded west Yellowstone/island park, beaver creek in N. Utah and perhaps rocking M in Alpine. One of the guys has a family member that lives and works at a place in steamboat springs.

Would love any suggestions. Thanks
If it's been TEN YEARS since the last time you were at the Togwotee Lodge, you will be in for a BRUTAL wakeup call.
It ain't the same place at all.

The riding in and around Tog are great when the snow is good.
But the facilities just aren't as much "FUN" as they were a decade ago.

Long Gone are the Jacuzzis for the group soak after a long cold ride.

Gone are the Fireplaces in the cabins

Gone is the great big fireplace in the main lodge down in the pit

The bar is still solid and the restaurant has been totally over hauled and rebuilt.

We still go once in a while, but it just has a different "Vibe" than it used to have in the past..

===

As for West Yellowstone.
There is no comparable lodge in West or Island Park.
You will be staying in something much more commercial Motel/Hotel.
But..
There is great Ride In and Ride Out, and the surrounding mountains offer some excellent varied riding every bit as good and often far better than Tog.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Sadly enough Togwotee Mountain Lodge is nothing like it used to be. It used to be the PREMIER snowmobile lodge on the Rocky Mountain West. These days the rooms are beat down and the service is marginal as best. This year would have been the 10th in a row there. We are trying to figure out where to go this year.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Crooked Creek Guest Ranch or the Lineshack on Union Pass Road near Dubois Wyoming are good options. They both have gas and food and bar. Are less than a mile from each other. There are sled rentals available, They are on the Continental Divide trail and are about 50 miles South and East of Togwotee by trails.
There are also some very nice VRBO Rental Properties in and near the Crooked Creek subdivision. Easy acess to the Togwotee and Brooks Lake riding areas, but very gooding riding right near there and further South with far less trafic.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sadly enough Togwotee Mountain Lodge is nothing like it used to be. It used to be the PREMIER snowmobile lodge on the Rocky Mountain West. These days the rooms are beat down and the service is marginal as best. This year would have been the 10th in a row there. We are trying to figure out where to go this year.
Sad but true.
for me its all about the CURRENT OWNERSHIP..

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Crooked Creek Guest Ranch or the Lineshack on Union Pass Road near Dubois Wyoming are good options. They both have gas and food and bar. Are less than a mile from each other. There are sled rentals available, They are on the Continental Divide trail and are about 50 miles South and East of Togwotee by trails.
There are also some very nice VRBO Rental Properties in and near the Crooked Creek subdivision. Easy acess to the Togwotee and Brooks Lake riding areas, but very gooding riding right near there and further South with far less trafic.
I second the union pass area. Been there the last two years. We stayed at a VRBO. Ate at the Crooked Creek Ranch several times and it was great. Mostly back country meadows and trees which we like more than straight up hill climbing.

Cinno

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
Thanks for the replies so far.
That’s disappointing but not surprising to hear the change in Tog after being bought out whenever that was.
My gf and I were there early sept of 19 but it was slow and we only spent a day on a SXS but didn’t notice much change.
Spent a little more time last night looking and certainly I’m liking what I see for the w. Yellowstone and island park areas.
Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for the replies so far.
That’s disappointing but not surprising to hear the change in Tog after being bought out whenever that was.
My gf and I were there early sept of 19 but it was slow and we only spent a day on a SXS but didn’t notice much change.
Spent a little more time last night looking and certainly I’m liking what I see for the w. Yellowstone and island park areas.
Thanks
If we have decent snow, then its hard to beat the riding that WY and IP have to offer you.
Hotels, Motels, and Cabins Galore!.

Premium Features