• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket bumper that doesn't require tabs

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I have tried searching but have not found an exact answer. Is there an aftermarket bumper for the IQ that does not require the use of the plastic tabs?

My tabs are broke and there is a gap on my front end. I was going to replace the plastic but I thought I heard somewhere that there is a bumper that does not require these tabs. If that is the case I would rather put the money from the plastic towards a better bumper. I am pretty sure the plastic will break again, kinda a poor design.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Have you looked at the Skinz bumper? I'm not sure how diferent the 09 front is, but here is how the Skinz bumper mounts to an 07/08.

Block20Off20Panel.jpg

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I am looking at that now, but I am curious if the plastic tabs on the front and outside are required for proper mounting.

S
Mar 9, 2010
I have the skinz bumper. The bumper itself is awesome but the generic plastic peices they give to fill the gaps are junk.. I heated my up just enough to bend them so they followed the body lines, they come flat and look funny. Still leaves about a 1/4-1/2 inch gap. Havnt figued out how to fill these yet

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I am talking about the plastic belly pan tabs that connect to the OEM bumper. They are on the outside.

sevenhundo, do you have pics? That would be awesome.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Anything you can get would be awesome. I am curious of all the places the plastic mounts to the bumper. I have a few pics I will share as well.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I have the Skinz bumper on my 900 with the 09 front plastic. It doesn't need any plastic covers like the 05-08, the black nose of the hood covers it. Sorry for the previous post, didn't know which sled you had. Look at the pic in this link of the 09 (black one) http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductah/bumpers.html

I can post a close up pic of mine when I get home if you'd like...or am I referring to the wrong part?

Edit - looking through old threads, I found this one. Has better pics of the 09 Skinz bumper installed. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173851&highlight=skinz+bumper

Last edited:
S
Mar 9, 2010
I couldnt figure out the pic situation but the 08 is diff from the 09 so i couldnt help you there but I thought polaris fixed the bumper problem in 09 whats the problem now. The 08 had a junk plastic front bumper and they moved to an aluminum. Is it still junk

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Is there anyone who tested this bumper?

http://www.tricityperformance.net/e...2719-75940_product_333681.IQ_FRONT_BUMPER.htm

advantages vs. disadvantages??
someone who has more pictures of this?

/klarran

There was a bunch of threads back in '08 on bumpers (do a search for the pics). The TCP and Skinz were very popular...each for their own reasons. The COBE bumper followed later and was also a good option. The TCP provided protection over the entire front belly area, but required lots of cutting on the front plastics. The Skinz bolted right in and looked like it was supposed to be there, and was more popular. Major advantage of all of them....they worked were the factory failed!

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Personally I think the OEM 2009+ bumper works great. As strong as you really need. My problem is the belly pan plastic attaches with two small thumb sized plastic tabs to the bumper. Those break easily. I was looking at replacing the pastic but I thought I read somewhere that there was a bumper that attaches in more than one place than the tabs or doesn't need the tabs. I am pretty sure the SKinz is it. The bumper above at tri-city is nice but spendy at almost $400.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Throw a skid with some machined bolts with oversized heads threw the cheap rivet holes, that ought to stiffen up the front for some bashing :face-icon-small-hap The older skid that doesn't go all the way to the bumper would look good. Nice pics right to the point.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I installed the CoBe and really like it. It attaches to the lower front bulkhead and to brackets that wrap around the upper front a arms connection. There are only 2 rivets.....right at the front as the tubes exit the hood.
I liked the fact that it is a external install......support tubes that attach to bulkhead are on the outside with a plates that acts as a mini skid. It then connects with 2 small slots in bottom of pan (to be silicone sealed) where 2 brackets go up thru and to the lower bulkhead

IMG_0046[1].jpg IMG_0045[1].jpg IMG_0047[1].jpg IMG_0044[1].jpg

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
The Cobe is first rate engeeniring but pricy. The Skinz part that you are concerned only goes through the plastic. It has the backing plate that is in your pics and that is sort of like an invisable skid plate. The impact and structural points are different. If you have any questions on the Skinz leave Skinz an email or call them Jeff with be more than happy to help you out. Skinz is great bang for the buck IMHO.

Premium Features