• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

afr gauge vs plug colour

B
Jan 5, 2008
THE GAR
running a 2011 m8 with a cutler stage 2,7500 ft elev.. can't seem to get my numbers past 11 on afr gauge.check plugs and they look white/tan.too white in my opinion.oh should say i was running 7lbs boost.sled pulled good and was crisp but if I'm not mistaken isn't 10/11 on the gauge mean its richer.my first turbo so i don't really no wat the plug colour should b.any comments r appreciated

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Placement of the probes and the fuel you are running will affect the plug color.

11.8 to 12.2 is a good range to shoot for at wide open throttle.

Plug color is and always has been a good indicator and I would trust first the way the sled runs, second -wetline in the pipe, third - plug color, and finally the gauge.

On a turbo, I would turn the fuel up much richer until it starts sputtering on the top end and then back it off from there. They seem to be more on/off than a naturally aspirated sled and if they are running a bit rich you WILL know. Be careful because too rich is just as bad as too lean for the reeds.

Reactions: BENDER 151
B
Jan 5, 2008
THE GAR
thanks for the info station.ill give that a go.i started at 37 lbs and went up to 39 and added 1/2 point on yellow and red in the attitude box.ran it like that all day,gonna head out to the shop and check them right now..

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I've ran quite a bit of a gas in big bores and it almost always shows a white, ashy burn on the plugs. I'm not sure why or if it does the same thing when mixed 50/50. But plug color for me when running av has never been a good indicator of how rich/lean my engine was running.

Reactions: BENDER 151
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Your A/F gauge.... sensor, sounds like its fricked

on a 2-smoke if you dip into the 11s you should get a bog at WFO at low boost

You can tune blind, add lots of fuel at WFO, make it bog, and than start pulling fuel until it cleans up. Not a good way to do it but plugs are cheaper than pistons

Read the ground strap on the plug, it knows

url

Premium Features