• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A Question about using different kinds of oil

I have an 09 summit everest 800, and all i have run is ski doo oil, the fully synthetic out of the black bottle. I was wondering if it would be okay to use some dominator 2-stroke. The closest place to buy ski doo oil is about an hour away and im out. Does anyone run anything besides ski doo oil in theirs?
My buddy say only run ski doo, but a lot of people say oil is oil. I want your guys opinions.

Im from the oil is oil bunch.

I have run my sleds on the crappy castrol 2t stuff from the conoco around here, its $15 a gallon, and the price is up from last winter. gums things up a TAD sooner, but at less then half the cost i could really care less!

put about 3000 combined miles on my 2 sleds on this stuff and no issues with it.

go run that stuff, really dont matter in my mind!

There are engine builders on this forum that believe that the old school non- synthetic oils are actually better for your motor. Might have to clean the power valves once in a while, but what does that take, 30 minutes? A whole lot cheaper as well.

oil is not oil nowadays. with emission regs alot of the properties are changed. if you go by the rating of the oil jasco etc you should be safe and warranty safe.

IIRC, the dominator oil is amsoil racing oil, I was told that it is designed to be used by racers that tear their engines down more frequently. I guess the thinking is that they will be cleaned up before residue can collect and gum things up. That being said, I don't know how true that is.

I assume you are refering to Amsoil Dominator. That is more of a racing oil. Amsoil Interceptor is the oil that Amsoil makes for a daily driver stock/light mod sleds with power valves. That is what I have been running in our 3 sleds for the past 6 years. Not one oil related problem yet and the valves stay pretty clean. I clean them once a year just to be good to them. There are alot on here that say it is junk and they would not run it in a chainsaw...To each there own....ford vs chevy , cat vs polaris vs ski doo...There are alot of us out there that run Amsoil with no problems.

i ran the dominator in my '03 800 with no problems. it had a pipes, rkt head, and port and polish. i am currently running it in my '09 XP 800 ( crank shop pipe, rkt head, and delta reeds ) with no problems to date ( 371 miles ). have had good luck with amsoil, with no sticking valves.

Reactions: RKT
synthetic oil

Just as a note, we had a race smallblock chevy on the dyno about a week ago, and lost 35 hp switching to a synthetic oil, a leakdown test showed it leaking past the rings. switched back to the normal non sythetic oil and picked the horsepower back up.

Reactions: RKT
I've been running Amsoil Interceptor for 3 years now with no problems. I recently installed an RK Tek drop in piston kit and head in my '05 Summit X. I ran Ski Doo oil (non-synthetic) for about 150 miles for break in then went back to Interceptor. Seized the engine within 50 miles. I haven't torn it down yet but spoke with RK Tek and their instructions specifically say NOT to run Amsoil! I should have read the instructions!!!
I don't know if the oil had anything to do with my problems, but I'm going back to Ski Doo brand oil.

all i have ran in my 04 from day one was amsoil hp injector but now you cant get it anymore so have switched to interceptor. have ran all seson on a terra alps motor with no issues. I am running skidoo oil in the old ladies o8 800 xp until warranty is off then the oil injection comes off and i will pre mix using amsoil also. ive seen more burndowns from injection failure than the type of oil being used. i am using skidoo oil just incase of a failure then they have no arguments about oil.

I put VES gold in my rev EVERY chance i get purely because it makes you sled smell great. But majority of the time it runs off skidoo XPS and Cat oil.. 2700 "teenager" miles and thats on a skidoo!! with no problems at all, Raves are starting too get tappy but the seasons over for it soo itll get cleaned

I have an 09 summit everest 800, and all i have run is ski doo oil, the fully synthetic out of the black bottle. I was wondering if it would be okay to use some dominator 2-stroke. The closest place to buy ski doo oil is about an hour away and im out. Does anyone run anything besides ski doo oil in theirs?
My buddy say only run ski doo, but a lot of people say oil is oil. I want your guys opinions.

The black bottle is the blend and the yellow bottle is the full synthetic.;)

Amsoil Dominator

I have been using AMSOIL Dominator in my last four sled 00(700), 03(800), 06(800), and 08(800) XP. I had it in each sled from day one. Dominator is designed for racing, but works great for those that just like to ride hard and have that extra engine protection. AMSOIL has three different 2 cycle oils, HP Injector, Interceptor and Dominator. They are all full synthetic and each has different characteristics. Here is a link to AMSOIL, check it out.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tdr.aspx

Premium Features

Back