• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'98 Summit X 670 - Buddy Just bought one

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
I put this in the 'doo forum but I thought I'd put it over here for a little more exposure

My friend is just entering the sport with a used 670 Summit X that he bought at auction. Preseason checks were all good, compression 150+ per side, no other issues reported. The only problem with the sled is a chunk is missing on the outer 1/3 inch of the left ski. We'll cut the outer edges from the other ski for now for symmetry's sake and trim the bad side. He doesn't want to dump a bunch of money while he is learning to ride (Understandably so), so things like pipes/cans and other mods are off the table for now.

I myself am a polaris owner, so I know next to nothing about these particular sleds. I do know they were highly popular when introduced, and from reading other posts that 670 Rotax HO is a great engine. I had suggested Redline Synthetic VES oil (we don't know what the previous owner used), and for fuel I run Chevron 91 Oct. with a stabilzer, and am suggesting the same for him.

I would love some suggestions on oil, what to look for, quirks in the class, handling characteristics, or any other advice you may have for this sled that I can pass on. Last season was his first on my wife's sled, a '99 600 RMK, and he decided he needed his own. Any help you can give me is great.

No quirks, That is one bullet proof motor. They do run rich on the oil injection but what sled doesn't? I pulled my injection off and ran pre-mix. But you have to remember that the rotary valve chamber needs to stay filled with oil. or the brass gear inside gets soft and strips. Wish I still had it so I could send you a pic

I had this same sled

A couple of quirks

If you roll it over, get the gas valve shut off asafp

Dont park it down hill (Steep downhill), the engine floods easily

It will take him a few rides to figure out the priming system. On mine on a cold start, 5 pumps of the primer, not 4, not 6

Dropping the skid and moving it back + lengthening to 151" made a new sled out of it. In stock form the sled is a trencher.

It needs clutching. When I first had it, the clutches would get stupid hot. Big John clutched it, put mag arms on it, and the belt life was insane. Easily get a whole year out of a belt.

Use Seafoam towards the end of the year.

Clean the carbs once a year, and this sled does really well, especially sidehilling. That 37" ski stance was a frigging dream to side hill.

All good points above. moving the skid as mentioned will put more pressure on the front end which will help handleing. I had two and they will lift the skis a bit more than I liked.

the only other thing with these is the H.A.C ( high alititude compensator) fail and are kinda pricey . Holtzman engineering sells a replacement that is better.They where the only problem I ever had with the sleds. the rotax is a superb motor.

I had a 99x. Awesome sled. Over 5,000 miles when I sold it and never a problem except a warranty thing.

Take primary clutch apart and clean it out. I just had to replace 0-rings in the primary a few times. I guess maybe I replaced the primary clutch cup once not because it was broke but because it was showing some wear.

I've still got some Roetin wear bars, new, in the garage if he needs them. I never did need them, nor hifax.

thanks for the replies....I'll pass it all on. Have to admit, even just the little bit we moved it around, it looks like it'll get up and go and then some.

I had one and loved it! I wish I still had it! put a 151 finger track and a riser on it and I rode the piss out of it for a couple of years. went anywhere the rev 800s were going. jaws made a nice set of pipes for them that ran good. take care of those clutches. doo clutches are spendy to rebuild

Ya I remember if you pointed it downhill or rolled it the thing would never start again. I believe if you put the 99 models float bowls in it or something it cured the problem. Cut my teeth on a 98. Rad sled.

I have heard that if you get the floats set perfect they don't flood. Mine flooded all the time, so I moved the fuel shutoff to an easy to reach spot (out from under the hood) and just learned to ALWAYS shut the fuel if the sled wasn't parked level. You'll still learn Rotax aerobics from the times you roll the sled and don't get the fuel shut off fast enough. Hold her wide open and start pulling. Normally 10-20 pulls will get 'em fired. To this day I can pull start a sled better than anyone I have rode with.

Last edited:
That was an extremely easy chassis to sidehill.

If it weren't for the flooding issues mentioned above, you could have called it "The Perfect Sled" in it's era.

Premium Features

Back