• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 ultra starts and dies, Help I am tired of pulling on this thing!!!

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
hello all
I got a problem with my ol' ultra. starts on first pull then dies, has good compression 125+ across the deck. rebuilt carbs(including new needle and seats) set correctly. good hot spark, and good fuel. but she just wont run, acts as though it is flooded after first start and die. don't matter what i do. Any help would be awesome this guy's out of ideas! I mean I got fuel fire and air, just what else could it be!

thanks
damen

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
is it for sure flooding..??...no chance its a lean stall from torn carb boots or bad crank seal..??...if you spray some starting fluid around boots and pto crank seal it could tell you if you have any issues..??

and then throttle safety switch issues with cable adjustment issue as you try to give gas after start up...??

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Check the throttle cable as stated, make sure its not the safety circuit. Also, check that the vent lines on the carb float bowls arent plugged, kinked or restricted in any way.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Did you get it running, are your chokes adjusted incorrectly to where they're sticking open? Are your carbs really out of sync? The attachment's aren't written by me, they were written by some other helpful members from here. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Choke adjustment .txt
    741 bytes · Views: 40
  • Carb synchronization.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 44
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Dang the ol' girl is still dead but I am going to pull it into the shop over the weekend and see if I can get it fired off I know my carb sync is good and my chokes are good..guess time will tell...

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Is the sled piped, know any one with the an ultra that is also piped? if you do ask to borrow their carbs, to test them out to see if that's your problem, and then copy their setup if it works for you. Also check your fuel lines, they could be sucking air/leaking (impulse line?) check the lines on your water traps, I've had those crack on me. You also might check to see if the fuel pump gaskets are good as well.

Last edited:
Premium Features