• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 indy 500 doesnt rev over 6 grand

M
Jan 8, 2013
my indy feels like it has a rev limiter at 6 grand it just sits there and wont go any further, i know they rev higher than that.... the motor is freshly rebuilt carbs set up nice runs absolutely great it just only goes like 35 mph cuz the clutch wont engage all the way from not revving up. ive heard that this could be a stator problen or a clutch problem. even if the clutch was bad it would seem like the motor would still run normal so idk i need some help on this one and what it could possibly be

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I would look at the drive clutch. If it has a lot of miles on it the weight bushings, weight roller bushings, the movable sheave bushings will all be worn. If the weight bushings are worn they will **** to the side and start taking a fly cut out of the spider. If the roller bushings are wore they will not spin and will get flat spots on them and in turn wear out the flyweight ramp surface. When the movable sheve bushings get worn they let the sheves **** and cause problems with shift out. Some times when a sled sets for a long time rust will form on any of the surfaces these bushings ride on the rust can take out these bushings in no time flat. If the drive clutch spring is broke or sacked out it will cause it to upshift to fast and not let it come up to full RPM also. If this is a fuji engine the ones that i had were prety hard on clutch components and performance would slowly go away as they wore. If the drive clutch is good then i would look at the driven next.

Last edited:
Premium Features