• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 not the shining star...

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like it handles and performs great but its having its share of probs , cracked bulkheads being a nasty one.
Id still love to see a 17 m cat vs 850 vid.

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Sounds like it handles and performs great but its having its share of probs , cracked bulkheads being a nasty one.
Id still love to see a 17 m cat vs 850 vid.

I own a 850 Summit X 165 and I've had the oppertunity to ride a
new Mountain Cat 162, and I can tell you that in most situations that the MC will out perform the 850. I am in the process of selling my 850 so I can replace it with a new Mountain Cat.

Cat401

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
I own a 850 Summit X 165 and I've had the oppertunity to ride a
new Mountain Cat 162, and I can tell you that in most situations that the MC will out perform the 850. I am in the process of selling my 850 so I can replace it with a new Mountain Cat.

interesting statement......would you be able to elaborate with more detail on your comparisons?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I ran into a guy last weekend who said he'd been up doin a photo shoot or something with all three brands. He didn't say much, but he did say it was unreal how much faster the mountain cat got up on the snow compared to the poo and doo. said it would be up and gone while the other two were just trenching along.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ran into a guy last weekend who said he'd been up doin a photo shoot or something with all three brands. He didn't say much, but he did say it was unreal how much faster the mountain cat got up on the snow compared to the poo and doo. said it would be up and gone while the other two were just trenching along.

I would completely disagree.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My riding group has each 2017 with the exception of a Yamaha. The cat handling and motor is great, but it trenches terrible. We sucked in the limiter strap and put more pressure in the RTS and are trying it today.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
My riding group has each 2017 with the exception of a Yamaha. The cat handling and motor is great, but it trenches terrible. We sucked in the limiter strap and put more pressure in the RTS and are trying it today.

Are you talking a 17 MC? The other 17s are not the same. The MC setup made a significant difference on my 16 and the biggest is how it gets on the snow.

Sorry there has been a lot of reviews on here and you are the first to claim trenching issues.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com

There is no way that is a mountain cat or the setup is way way off. Mountain cat definitely crawls on top better than an 850 and equal if not better than an axys.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
they can still trench guys, its not a miracle sled. i let air out of the back shock when i first got mine because it didnt seem to transfer that great. been adding pressure back in ever since. if you allow it to rock back too far it will start to trench.
what amazes me is if you can keep it from digging in lower on the hill with all of the other sleds, it builds speed and keeps climbing like you just hit the nos button or something. the clutching and gearing are reaaly spot on for hill climbs imo. i read these threads of people changing weights and helixs and kinda scratch my head...?
this old motor makes some serious steam!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The 17 Mountain Cat would have to be some miracle sled compared to a 2016 M8 after having a 16 out last season with a bunch of ProRides and Axys. The guy who was sponsored by a Cat dealer (free sled for the season) is a good rider but he had so much trouble in the nasty steep tree covered hills we were climbing. That sled augured in so bad and was so heavy and crappy to climb out of stucks.

I sure hope you guys are right about the 17 MC as I sure was un-impressed with the 16.

He kept it for the season only to use for the ladies to use on the trail rides and got on his other sponsored sled (2016 AXYS) when he wanted to get serious.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
Remember than suspension setup is very important and with new generation of chassis, this effect is more than before.

Last week, i riding with some Pro-ride RMK, some sled get on top more easy than other... i help a little boy with their Proride....trench trench trench.... i take the sled, i do better but i notice than a sled dont help to go on top of snow, why? too much FTS preload, too soft ski shock preload and too soft RTS... but when i tried the sled, suspension feel good, i notice the error when i put a small tie-rap on shaft rod for see the travel.

The right setup is hard to take with every contact point on a sled.

On Float shock, 5psi can do an notice difference, when you add Evol chamber, this great feature can do some headache.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I rode with a friend of mine last week whom I hadn't gone out with yet this year. I was joking with him in the parking lot about shattering his bulkhead since he'd only had two rides on it.

It happened. He was right behind me in a bit of some roost, hit literally the same rock I did right in front of him. That thing had to be in 16 pieces there were so many cracks.

Hey whaddaya know, skidoo made a sled that can't take a hit in the front without replacing an expensive pain in the arse frame piece. :face-icon-small-dis

Kinda bummed. I was really hoping those sleds would be at least somewhat durable. I really REALLY like the idea of a more centered motor. I don't even care about the extra displacement. Weight balance is just that important and right now it's the only sled that even gets close.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
He must have meant used it to get the ladies while all the Poo guys were off on their usual trail ride:)

Funny my 16 Limited hasn't had any problems hanging with any of the Poo's I've rode with this season, must live in a different world...

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
interesting statement......would you be able to elaborate with more detail on your comparisons?

Though the dropped chaincase and 8 tooth driver does not make the MC a "Miracle" sled, it does make it a much more capable mountains sled than previous years, or even the current year non Mountain Cat models. It is very predictable and IMO side hills better than either the Axys or the 850 doo. I've been out 2 different days in 2 different snow conditions with all three if the brands with 3" equal length tracks. All three readers have years of experience, and we all like tree riding in steep terrain. That being said, we all fount the MC to the best overall. Sure each sled has a place it shines but if you take an average we all felt if you could only have one of the three it would be the Mountain Cat (not a ltd or sno pro). The 850 is very twitchy, and unpredictable, and trenches much worse than either the MC or the Axys, not to mention the belt, chaincase, and bulk head weak points. I am in the process of selling my Summit X 850 to replace it with a MC.

Premium Features