• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 DET Sensor problem

D
Nov 28, 2010
2019 850 Det light comes on only when in deep snow
Trail riding Det never comes on
It's not fuel guaranteed same fuel in multiple sleds totally fresh 91 shell no other sleds have problem
Trail ride sled is a rockstar runs perfect wfo no problem
Jump off trail into even modest snow depth and hit throttle and max Det red light bar comes on at bottom of screen and check engine light blinks
Sled has been to dealer 2x for this digital wrench clears code and sent on my way Wtf?
every thing checks out ok dealer is a pita !
Are these sensors temperamental? Do I replace it? Dealer says it's ok is there a test I can perform on it ?
this is getting ridiculous
Need help thx
Tried in both ethanol mode and non does not matter again fuel is not the problem

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Det sensor is sensitive to correct torque— if under torqued it can go off. Torque setting is around 130 INCH pounds (need to confirm in service manual)

Is the heat shield secure on the pipe— not loose or rattling?

850 pipes have a tendency to shift towards bumper on mag side— that can also cause vibrations that set off DET sensor.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
could it be over reving once you get off the trail? What is the max RPM you are turning at WOT off trail? I believe there has been some issues with plastic not fitting good and allowing snow to get on the clutch which could cause the belt to slip and over rev.

D
Nov 28, 2010
Max rev off trail is 8100
Got it clutched spot on
Will def check on plastic by clutch for snow get in and caulk it up thx

willalso chech re torque of Det sensor and pipe / heat shield
Thx for suggestions

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Is it happening when u chop the throttle? I ride alot and I'm also piped , but I'll get the code when I'm chopping the throttle, especially if the load becomes light for a second, or if my weights are to light or not loaded enough in the heal and middle position. I feel that the oem pol weights are not heavy enough in the heal to mid and it can't contain the power (quick reving) of this motor and if the computer sences the Rs climbing to fast, than it throws a det code.
Pol has been using the same weights for yrs, and I'm not convinced that one style fits all.
In stock or piped , I use mtx weights, loaded very heavy in the heal and mid and I very rarely now see a det and if it is, it's because I chopped the throttle and there's no load, but when IV tried pol weights or adj weights that are not loaded down low, I det.
This is just my own personal experience.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I believe there is also a 60* orientation to the PTO side.
Is this an SPI pipe? 8100rpm?
Tony, have u had any luck tuning a spi pipe with your clutching?
I got my sled dialed in with conventional clutching but perhaps your method will bring more to the table.

D
Nov 28, 2010
Thx for reply
Stock pipe can
I agree w chop throttle effect happens a lot
If I'm easy w throttle up and down thru range Det is under control
Indy dan balanced clutches and cover and Indy trail weights magnets
4 holes loaded 4-4-3-2 for 77.8 grams
Pulls 8100 rpm freight train monster pull
Worked thru multiple issues w this motor and it's a PITA!!! Would never do another 850 after all this chase of problems
This motor is like the supermodel 10 hot chick u always wanted to date but once u get her u realize how much up keep she is
I'm not quit on this sled love it too dam much but entire season spent tinker w issues sucks
Any help from anyone w more tweaks to sled would be appreciated much
Thx again

Premium Features