• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 CFI - VES Cleaning

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
Okay, I'm past due on the VES cleaning and need some instructions on how to correctly clean the system. I tried the search engine and came up with how to clean the 900/755, but not the 700 CFI. Can anyone help me with this?

highstick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
Cleaning VES

Just did mine. Pull the 4 bolts and try not to rip the gasket. I soaked mine in Oil Eater cleaner degreaser from Costco for 2 days and they came out bright and clean. I've heard brake cleaner or oven off works also. Check for rips in the rubber bellow and check the springs are intact. They only fit in one way so mark the top when you remove them. Long bolts go in the sides short bolts top and bottom. A little lock tight and a 10 mill wrench is all you need.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Just did mine. Pull the 4 bolts and try not to rip the gasket. I soaked mine in Oil Eater cleaner degreaser from Costco for 2 days and they came out bright and clean. I've heard brake cleaner or oven off works also. Check for rips in the rubber bellow and check the springs are intact. They only fit in one way so mark the top when you remove them. Long bolts go in the sides short bolts top and bottom. A little lock tight and a 10 mill wrench is all you need.

Good idea using the Oil Eater, I have a gallon in my garage I use for everything else but never even thought of using it for my valves. How did your springs look? I was going to pull mine just to check the springs for rust. The one directly below the headlight air plenum looks like it may be rusted up pretty good.

highstick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
valve springs

I pulled the exhaust valves out of a 2002 700 rmk with 1800 miles. The springs very good with little rust. I didn't replace them. I did buy new gaskets for the valves, but the bellows looked fine. If I understand the valve correctly you want it to open early anyway so a worn spring may be ok. SLP sells lighter springs for higher altitude. I ride from 9000ft and up. I used blue loctite for the bolts

Premium Features