• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7' wide trailer with newer (narrow) sleds

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
I've seen mixed reviews on the 7' wide trailers over the years. My buddy and I used to have a 6'x12' cargo trailer we'd put two sleds in for quick trips to areas with a small parking lot or bad roads. That same buddy bought my 30' charmac so I decided to replace it with a 7'x18' ATC aluminum trailer. Should work well for a Rzr or a couple sleds.

Who has experience with the newer narrow sleds and a 7' wide? Not aure what I'm just now asking this - already placed the order - no backing out now haha

I feel for hauling sled the 7 foot wide is the only way to go. Less wind drag, drive in drive out, staggering sled from leaves room for gear between and in front of. I always load them in the front and out the back. So they are facing backwards. That way the tunnel of the last one in fits nice in the V nose. They are little longer trailers but haul really nice. Nice to have larger wheels with wells on the outside so no humps to go over on the inside and trailer can sit lower to the ground. Again less wind drag.

I feel for hauling sled the 7 foot wide is the only way to go. Less wind drag, drive in drive out, staggering sled from leaves room for gear between and in front of. I always load them in the front and out the back. So they are facing backwards. That way the tunnel of the last one in fits nice in the V nose. They are little longer trailers but haul really nice. Nice to have larger wheels with wells on the outside so no humps to go over on the inside and trailer can sit lower to the ground. Again less wind drag.
93ad5e2f29d4f28cc7cb1c09b284c6f4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I love my 7 wide. It's a 20 ft box with a 5 foot vnose. 3 is easy and I can get 4 in by cramming them a little. At this point my only regret is not another 2 ft. Its a great trailer.

Seems the 7' wide with wheels on the outside might be more stable in a crosswind because of the wider base and lower to the ground, though it gives up a little because it has to be longer to haul a similar load.

One thing I noticed while pulling my 7' in snow a few days ago is you have to be more careful when hitting untracked areas because the trailer tires are cutting their own path and more prone to sliding around. If you have a dually that would be less concern with the trailer but a little more with the truck.

This is probably 95% of the trailers sold in the Midwest. Always wondered why they have not caught on as quick in the west. I mean my trailer is probably shorter than most of the big goosenecks people pull out there. NOt a whole lot longer than a deck over bumper pull. I know hard to beat a goosneck for pulling but I didn't pay no where near as much either. Plus mine is all aluminum so it will not rust and it is lighter, easier to pull. Many poeple pull these 6-8 hours plus on trips with 1/2 ton pickups because how easy they pull. I prefer a 3/4.

Mine is a 22' box with a 5' V nose giving 27' of interior space. Easily fits 4 narrow mountain sleds. It will fit 4 trails sled of almost any length as well. Never had a combo of 4 sleds in it that would not fit. Typically I have 4 155" sleds in there or 2 121" trail sleds and 2 155" sleds depending on where and who I am riding with.

Seems the 7' wide with wheels on the outside might be more stable in a crosswind because of the wider base and lower to the ground, though it gives up a little because it has to be longer to haul a similar load.

One thing I noticed while pulling my 7' in snow a few days ago is you have to be more careful when hitting untracked areas because the trailer tires are cutting their own path and more prone to sliding around. If you have a dually that would be less concern with the trailer but a little more with the truck.

The wheels should be the same width as an 8.5" trailer. The load is typically lower which is where the added stability comes in.

The duallys can get a little tricky in the snow. I sold mine this summer and got a single wheel partly because of that.

I love my 7 wide. It's a 20 ft box with a 5 foot vnose. 3 is easy and I can get 4 in by cramming them a little. At this point my only regret is not another 2 ft. Its a great trailer.

I really struggled in length. My initial intent was to get a small trailer to use for rides with a couple buddies. The urge to creep up in length was Constant but I revisited the urge and stuck with an 18' box + 6' nose.

93ad5e2f29d4f28cc7cb1c09b284c6f4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's a good looking setup!

We just picked up a 7'x25' (20' box) Stealth. Drove down to IN to pick it up and very impressed with how it tows. We had a 7'x23' before that was a steel frame and this new all aluminum pulls like a dream. We run only two sleds 90% of the time loaded from the back with tons of room to walk around. But wanted the option to haul 3 from time to time. And I have down doubt we could get 4 in this if needed. I have always loved the way the 7' wide tows, however I've always had gasser trucks for tow rigs. Sure you gain a bit more length vs the 8', but then just feel more stable and seems to cut the wind better IMO.

Headed Home 10-31-16.jpg

da47a7ac0f7683f4626d4316ba30ea11.jpg
c4da3542e675f2e8af91ae9761d50a33.jpg

Pulls extremely well behind my Ecodiesel with 4 sleds and gear
27' (22' + 5' nose) triton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't even imagine having a narrow trailer.
We use all of the 8.5ft every time we load up.
5 Long Track mountain sleds in a 28ft trailer.
Its SNUG.
And next year I think i will go back to the 30ft trailer once again.

cd02e530141fb6146abd18a30abd6ebd.jpg

Its SNUG.

Me too. I am coming from the flatlands and still won't give it up. All aluminum 8.5 x 28ft and I can pull it 90 mph with my duramax if my heart desires. No way am I going back to a 7.5. To each his own. Just like brands of truck. Use what works for u.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

5 mountain sleds in mine if squeeze 4 all day long 7x27' all aluminum legend. Towes like a dream I just lifted it cus hate when nose or *** gets close to rubbing ground on steep areas. Wouldn't go wider if u paid me

image.jpeg

Its SNUG.

I would go crazy having to load up like that every time I go riding and have to drive around to pick up everyone and then do the same after riding. This is the reason I went to the smaller trailer as I no longer wanted to be the ride share for the group. When I was younger saving every dollar while riding was great. Now I just want to get back home and not have to stop 4-5 places to drop off riders and sleds. I got tired of coordinating all the pick-ups while trying to get out of town Friday night. Now it's just an easy, see you at the cabin. Your case is a bit different as you have 3 sleds before you even leave your driveway and you usually only drive an hour or two each way. If I was in that position I'd probably run the same size trailer or larger Gooseneck. But for 2 sleds 90% of the time and a MIN 11 hours on the road to go riding at the cabin the lighter 7' wide all alum is the way to go for us.

But like others have said this is the reason they make tons of different trailer sizes and shapes. :face-icon-small-coo

5 mountain sleds in mine if squeeze 4 all day long 7x27' all aluminum legend. Towes like a dream I just lifted it cus hate when nose or *** gets close to rubbing ground on steep areas. Wouldn't go wider if u paid me

How is it possible to get 5 mountain sleds in a 7x27?

Trailer lift?

How much did you lift the trailer and how did you accomplish the lift? It's difficult to see what type of axles you have due to the distance at which the photo was taken... Thanks!

We've done 5 in a 7x29, but it damned tight! (no tie down needed!)

Did you have to pull Ski's on any or were you able to just alternate them and wedge them in there?

I'd love to see a picture if anybody has one to see people's different ways of loading that many sleds.

We have a 7 1/2 X 27 and I don't see any way to fit 5 sleds in there unless these new doos fit side by side in there which they might. But even then I can't see it happening, because 4 in our trailer is snug.

Did you have to pull Ski's on any or were you able to just alternate them and wedge them in there?

I'd love to see a picture if anybody has one to see people's different ways of loading that many sleds.

I had a 7x27 MTI and now a 7x29 Stealth that we put 5 sleds in each. The sleds were all 141's and 153's so not quite the length as a bunch of 163's but some had the wider 40" plus ski stance so you can't get them as tight side x side either. On the 7x27 we had to pull a ski off one sled, we loaded one forward and one backward in the back of the trailer so they are basically next to each other. We then drove the next two in from the front facing the rear, then pulled the last one in the front backwards and pulled the ski.
Our last trip with the 7x29 we had 2 153's, 2 155's, and a 141 High Country. We drove one in back and backed one in like before, then drove the last three in from the front. It's tight, but it works.

That being said, I am looking to sell the 7x29 and go to a 8.5x25 with a V front. I don't want to drag around such a long trailer especially when I only have 2 sleds or so to haul and want more usable space for side x sides and such. A used 8.5x25 or 26 with a v front is hard to find. Tons of inlines on the market now selling cheap.

Premium Features

Back