• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

55 gal barrel pumps... what do you use?

T

TheBreeze

I am looking at manual transfer pumps for 55 gallon barrels of fuel. Most seem to say that they are not for use with flammable liquids. What do you guys use?

I was looking around for race fuel a while back. United Oil (Twin Falls, ID) sold a manual pump for their 55 gal drums. I think they quoted me around $75 + the feeder hose that goes in the drum. Not sure where you could try to find a factory direct supplier, but theres might be a good option for what you want.

racer

I bought a hand crank drum pump at my local Cenex or Quality Supply (Like a Tractor Supply Co.)

It has an adjustable length pick-up pipe for any size drum.

Works just fine.

i set my drums on those cradles, and screw in spigots into the bungs! its soo cool when i start filling a jug with $5 a gal oil.... the phone rings... i answer it.... and totally forget i was filling a jug! next thing ya know i got $97 worth of oil runnin down the floor drain!! so sweet i cant wait to do it again! hahahaha i will never learn!

The local fuel supplier sell us this style for about $15. They are great if you have the barrels higher than the sled, otherwise it is a bit tedius to pump. They are light, cheap, flow well, don't spark and cheap enough to have a few stashed around in different areas. I figured I'd melt it, but they are still hanging in just fine. I use em for everything now.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Hand-Operated-Drum-Pump-4HA27

The local fuel supplier sell us this style for about $15. They are great if you have the barrels higher than the sled, otherwise it is a bit tedius to pump. They are light, cheap, flow well, don't spark and cheap enough to have a few stashed around in different areas. I figured I'd melt it, but they are still hanging in just fine. I use em for everything now.

Tony I have one of those that I use to pump out of a 15 gallon gas can that I have. I dont know if the pickup is long enough to get to the bottom of the drum. But I do agree, they are cheap work very well. Also good for syphoning gas etc.
EDIT: i reread the grainger ad and they do have them for 55gal drum. sorry.

I agree, these are actually very good pumps & are very chemical resistant.(Although, I will admit they do look kinda cheap). I have used these to pump even straight methanol and they work for that.
For the sleds, I'd be best if the sled was outside sitting on the ground and the barrel was in the trailer, so it siphons out.

Premium Features

Back