• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4.5L Duramax Suburban with 10spd

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
Do you think GM will ever pull their head out and put a Duramax in the Tahoe/Suburban?

I just (reluctantly) traded up my older Suburban for a newer 2015. Don't get me wrong, it's really nice, but still misses the mark when towing when they could put the 4.5L Duramax from 2009 in it and easily beat the 5.3 or 6.2 for power/mileage.

It would just be nice to throw the family and gear in a tow rig (not the lifted 3/4 ton diesel truck) where you can make a 6-8 hour road trip with the boat, camp trailer, or sleds and still get decent mileage with plenty of power.

IMO nobody is really doing it right. The Ecoboost Expedition and Sequoia look outdated and also get poor mileage when towing. And, Dodge needs to put the EcoDiesel in a full-size SUV and Nissan needs to put their new Cummins diesel in the Armada.

Am I the only one that wishes they'd do this?

Last edited:

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I wished for it to happen and nothing!

So, I had one built. 2008 2500 burb with a 6.6 Duramax and Allison. I absolutely love it! 3 years on the conversion and many trips out west.

Give Duraburb a call and get-r-done.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I wished for it to happen and nothing!

So, I had one built. 2008 2500 burb with a 6.6 Duramax and Allison. I absolutely love it! 3 years on the conversion and many trips out west.

Give Duraburb a call and get-r-done.

I've heard of people doing that, never seen one or talked to anyone.

What changes did they have to make to get it all to fit? I've heard the transmission won't fit in the tunnel. Did they have to modify the hump going down the middle? What did it cost you?

What kind of realistic empty mileage are you getting? Towing? (weight?)

TIA

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN

What changes did they have to make to get it all to fit? I've heard the transmission won't fit in the tunnel. Did they have to modify the hump going down the middle? What did it cost you?

TIA

Engine and transmission fits fine...that is a misnomer. To fit the cooling stack though, the body needed to be lifted 2" in the front. The radiator is huge! It is a progressive lift (2" in front, no lift in back). It does not look lifted at all. I've left stock looking. As long as you go with similar years, everything else just plugs in. Best to start with a donor because there are a lot of little nickle and dime parts. I bought a 2008 2500HD that was hit on the side. Front was perfect, so everything swapped over.

Mileage is awesome. If I'm not towing, I'll get 20+ hand calculated on HWY (14-15 in town). The DIC usually reads 1-2mpg higher (I've actually gotten 24 on DIC on one tank - probably closer to 22 hand calculated). I've got a 7x29 aluma enclosed and just got back from Rabbit Ears. ~2200mi RT and averaged 12.3mpg hand calculated (85mph across Nebraska!).

BTW, I use the "Gas Cubby" iphone app and have logged every tank and service item since I had the conversion done. Tires are stock, so I believe the mileage it says.

Love the suburban...passengers love it too! Very comfortable and pretty cheap to drive.

Here is a video that Duraburb made of my suburban just before delivery.

http://youtu.be/mrcWt6sZgpQ

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon

TIA

Now look who's asking about mileage, both towing and empty.... sheesh, kids these days! :face-icon-small-ton

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
I knew that was coming.

That's why I figured I'd ask for empty (not towing) and towing. I kinda assumed he'd mention what he was towing. :face-icon-small-ton

LOL...I had a look at your other posts to figure out what what the "jabs" were about. :face-icon-small-ton

Believe me, you don't do a conversion like this thinking it will pay pack with better mileage. It is a side benefit. You do it because it makes towing more enjoyable. I've got a large (32') bumper pull camper (10-11mpg) and a 7000lb boat that I also pull. Believe me, it gets used primarily to pull, but we are a family of 5 with two dogs, so it also hauls the family in comfort to the cabin and on other non towing adventures.

Duraburb.jpg

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
LOL...I had a look at your other posts to figure out what what the "jabs" were about. :face-icon-small-ton

Believe me, you don't do a conversion like this thinking it will pay pack with better mileage. It is a side benefit. You do it because it makes towing more enjoyable. I've got a large (32') bumper pull camper (10-11mpg) and a 7000lb boat that I also pull. Believe me, it gets used primarily to pull, but we are a family of 5 with two dogs, so it also hauls the family in comfort to the cabin and on other non towing adventures.

That is a badas$ setup. Jealous.

Premium Features