• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3” track questions

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Those that have or had both, which is preferred, the alpha 3” or previous claw 3”?
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Have these side by side on 18 and 19.
19 shines in powder, loose snow.
18 is a little better on hard, but can be outdone by 19 if you slow down and don’t spin it.
Monday the 18 washed out and took a run into two trees where three alphas made it past, all running fresh snow.

Love both tracks.

• Sad
Reactions: lewisclark

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I've had both on my 18 MC. Both are excellent, but the Alpha track does have more traction. Alpha track does have a little more vibration on hard trails, but it's not bad. We only ride hard trails when we have to, in order to get to the good stuff.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve had 2.25, 2.6 and the 3” and I’m undecided between the 2.6 and 3”. Probably would depend on the day.
I’ve just not been on the 3” alpha track to compare with that.
And going downhill on the 2.25 and 2.6 are just a complete rodeo I’m my opinion.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Deep snow, Alpha buy a large margin.
Trail, Alpha will get destroyed Inside, due to the rail design.
Very limited cooling and lubrication. Kmod would help this alot.
Alphas always smell like melting hyfax down the trail.

If u have to ride through jeep ruts during the spring, u will snap the fiberglass rods on the Alpha due to monorail.

It's hard to compare the 2 without adding positives/ negatives from the monorail.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: line8

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Ok so now hopefully no feather ruffling.
Alpha seems to be the favorite.
For those that have or had polaris 2.75. How does it compare?
And what about it stacking up against the 18 3”.

To me it seems like a pretty good track. I’m not fully bought in to it yet though. I really, really like the 3” on my 18 MC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Climbing and ski lift, I prefer the powerclaw. All paddle heights compared to respective height tracks.

Sidehill, I have noticed that the narrow width paddles on Polaris reduce washout.
Polaris tracks will spin on a sidehill and maintain level. Powerclaw tracks will either propel the machine faster than desired or washout, with comparable throttle input.

Down hill, the powerclaw is definitely faster, kinda like uphill.

I do not have any personal experience with the poo 2.75.
I figure it's tough enough trying to keep the 3in pitch track from Ratcheting on the tiny poo drivers. The 3.5 track will only be worse.

The poo 3in track is great for moderate to deep snow and sucks balls on hard snow, it's worse than the powerclaw.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Climbing and ski lift, I prefer the powerclaw. All paddle heights compared to respective height tracks.

Sidehill, I have noticed that the narrow width paddles on Polaris reduce washout.
Polaris tracks will spin on a sidehill and maintain level. Powerclaw tracks will either propel the machine faster than desired or washout, with comparable throttle input.

Down hill, the powerclaw is definitely faster, kinda like uphill.

I do not have any personal experience with the poo 2.75.
I figure it's tough enough trying to keep the 3in pitch track from Ratcheting on the tiny poo drivers. The 3.5 track will only be worse.

The poo 3in track is great for moderate to deep snow and sucks balls on hard snow, it's worse than the powerclaw.

I’ve got a ‘22 so it’s got extroverts.
But what you are describing is exactly what I’m experiencing. It’s spins but keeps traction. Reacting is different.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I did not like the 2.75 at all. When my 23 9R shows up it will be getting a 3" 162 PC.

I would have put an alpha track under it if they made a twin rail option but the PC will have to do.

The 2.75 seems to trench more than the PC and especially more than the Alpha. Evident by the depth of trenchs comparing them side by side. For how I ride I much prefer the quick bite and thrust forward of the PC. Durability of the 2.75 is shotty as well. 1 week of riding and I had multiple torn lugs and I didn't get too crazy with it.

Reactions: bjd68 and line8

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I did not like the 2.75 at all. When my 23 9R shows up it will be getting a 3" 162 PC.

I would have put an alpha track under it if they made a twin rail option but the PC will have to do.

The 2.75 seems to trench more than the PC and especially more than the Alpha. Evident by the depth of trenchs comparing them side by side. For how I ride I much prefer the quick bite and thrust forward of the PC. Durability of the 2.75 is shotty as well. 1 week of riding and I had multiple torn lugs and I didn't get too crazy with it.

This is sort of what I’m thinking and the reason I asked the question. If you ask on the Polaris page, it would be cutting down a doo 3” track.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I am really considering a PC for my Khaos.
That was the plan when I purchased it but the Polaris track performed better than expected most of the time.

Not sure if I want the 2.6 or 3in PC.
I want better traction for most of the season(crappy snow), sidehilling and trail cooling. I have the Alpha for the deep days.

• Angry

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
3" powerclaw is a really good track. Works and seems to be pretty durable. The alpha track has traction like I have never seen before on anything. It's crazy how much traction it has in the deep. Durability not as great. Torn lugs and doesn't like to go down the trail without scratchers and finding soft snow.

• Sad

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
ive got 2000 miles on my 3 inch twin rail and only missing a half lug and and an eighth lug both. very durable. Seems like when i see lugs laying on the trail they are always little polaris lugs.

• Haha
Reactions: Over budget

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
I will be putting a 153 3inch pc on my 146 kahos if it shows up next winter. Im a big fan for the twin rail pc 3inch. Ive had multiple polaris tracks and they dont last for me. I have an alpha track that I have punched out for a project but havent tried it yet.

Reactions: line8

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
ive got 2000 miles on my 3 inch twin rail and only missing a half lug and and an eighth lug both. very durable. Seems like when i see lugs laying on the trail they are always little polaris lugs.

Yeah I’ve got 1900 miles on my 18 MC.
Not a bit a wear and it’s seen it’s share of things.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
both Alpha powerclaw and the twin rail powerclaw 3" tracks are better than anything from the other guys! Out climbed a 175" skidoo a couple years back on my 154" Alpha, bring on the sceptics!

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Buddy put a 3” powerclaw on his Polaris axys and it was an animal. Way better in almost every condition.

I have an alpha and the track is hands down my favourite. I just have grown to dislike the monorail.

Blew my sled up and had to leave it. Rode my buddies 2.75” boost and it seemed to spin quite a bit then take off, definitely not use to that. And doubled out with a girl on her matryx, unsure if it was a 2.75 or 3” but felt like I was on ice skates. Tried to climb an icy hill through trees and I had to push it up the hill spinning the track. My alpha would’ve idled up it. I stopped going downhill going in multiple times.

If they make an alpha track for twin rail that’s by far going to be the track I go with for whatever sled I own.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
both Alpha powerclaw and the twin rail powerclaw 3" tracks are better than anything from the other guys! Out climbed a 175" skidoo a couple years back on my 154" Alpha, bring on the sceptics!
i believe it. rode with 2 850 doos my 18 twin rail out climbed both and it wasnt close. one was a 175 with skins helium hood and gear down the other was stock 165. an old M would out climb a doo in my opinion.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have all 3 tracks on sleds, 3” PC, 3” alpha and 2.75 polaris. For a deep powder track the alpha 3” really is king, the doo 3” is pretty close (yea, have one of those too). Personally I think the 2023 new doo 3” will reign, but it’s untested yet. Also hard to compare the 3” cat track to the polaris 2.75. In my experience the 2.75 trenches less than the cat 3” track, simply because it doesn’t have as much lug. It also doesn’t propel you forward as quickly as the cat 3”, for the same reason, less lug height=less traction in deep snow.
IMO, all three manufacturers are making very good factory tracks. Each has its own characteristics that make it slightly better in various snow conditions. I did punch and clip an alpha 3” for a twin rail snd it’s my favorite deep snow for sure on a non alpha sled, doo 3” is a very close second, but has to be cut down to 15” wide

Premium Features